CCleaners and issues with system restore

dmk8932

Hey guys thanks for taking the time to read this! My issue right now is that I'm hoping I can get a quick fix to this. It seems that every time I run CCleaner whether it be a 35 Secure file deletion or a normal file deletion my system restore checkpoints end up missing. I attached some pics on CCleaner settings, and also my system restore settings. I run a Windows 7 64bit SP1

zmnzbo.png

<p>

2zfs4cm.png

Turn off Drive Wiper.

As the CCleaner drive wiper files get large enough to fill all the available free space, Windows automatically frees space by deleting restore points.

Running Drive Wiper every time you run CCleaner is also extra stress on a drive, & may cause it to fail early. Only use it when you really want the data gone, such as when you are considering donating your computer to someone.

You have checked the item

"Secure File Deletion (Slower)"

That is also known as "Wiping"

You should check

"Normal File Deletion (Faster)"

It is logical to me that with "Normal File Deletion (Faster)",

there should be no over-writing / erasing / wiping regardless of any check marks against "Wipe MFT Free Space" or the "Wipe Alternate Data Streams/Wipe Cluster tips".

I have however learnt that Windows logic differs from my logic, so I not only use Normal...Faster,

I also uncheck the other Wipes just in case.

Thanks to the replies guys! Before I follow your instructions. I first thought that the restore points were being deleted because of the fact I had low space on the HD like it was at the red marker. So I deleted a bunch of stuff to get out of that area. But looks like I ran CCleaner again and I found my manual restore points removed again but it's strange because when the system was doin a update it made a backup and it is still there/

I will try to follow the directions you guys gave me and see what happens ;/

You may have a corrupted System Restore. I often lost restore points on Vista until I cycled System Protection off and on.

I've had no trubbs with SR in Win7 but would try the same ► Turn off, reboot, turn on and immediately create a restore point.

disabledsp.png