Defraggler v2.07 not reporting Free Space as Empty Blocks

qubie

a) After successfully running Defraggler v2.07 in Quick Mode on 227GB drive which had 49% free space, Defraggler completed leaving the drive 11% fragmented. Quick Defrag took approx 6 hours. Is the time taken and degree of remaining fragmentation normal for a quick defrag?

B) Bigger concern, after 'successful' Quick Defrag of C: drive, disk map shows very few blocks as 'empty' (most blocks shown as 'Not Fragmented (Low Occupancy)') even though the drive is reported by Defraggler to have 49% Free Space ... see attached Fig 4. If I run an analysis on partition 'D' of the same drive (which is a system restore partition), Defraggler shows a 'normal' amount of empty blocks relative to the D: drive's reported free space ... see Fig 2. Why is Defraggler showing so few empty (white) blocks in its drive map on a drive which is 49% free?

c) Trying to run Full Defrag (my term) on drive C: would have taken something like 5 or 6 days to execute. See Fig 4 which shows the progress. After operating for 38 hours on the drive, starting with 103 fragmented files, Defraggler had only defragmented 17 files and was not showing any improvement to the number of empty blocks available.

d) Ran a boot time defrag to try to improve ... didn't help.

e) Ran Defrag Freespace to see if it would somehow help to reclaim the free space as empty blocks ... no change after 5 or 6 hours of operation (defrag freespace progress was only at approx 30% after that time ... on a drive map showing 5 empty blocks).

f) Defraggler was unable to run 'Check Drive for Errors' past Verifying Drive Phase 2 (it runs to 100% then reports error 'Verify drive was unable to complete successfully ... do you want to run CHKDSK /F command to correct volume errors).

g) I ran CHKDSK /F on bootup. CHKDSK /F cleaned up 'minor inconsistencies' on the drive, cleaning up 72 unused index entries. CHKDSK /F reported 0 bad sectors and 117GB available space on 238GB total disk space.

h) Tried re-running Defraggler's 'Check Drive Errors' after successful run of CHKDSK /F at bootup ... got same result.

I checked the drive's operating mode in case it was running in PIO mode but it is reported as running in 'UltraDMA/133' by Defraggler. Disk status is reported as 'Good' by Defraggler as well as HDD Tune 2.55.

Can anyone help with these excessively long defrag times and more of concern, the 'number of empty blocks not representing the amount of free space' dilemma?

post-57911-0-25285800-1321288892_thumb.png

post-57911-0-09056400-1321288907_thumb.png

What is meant by ?

(most blocks shown as 'Not Fragmented (Low Occupancy)')

I would guess that each such block has more than 50% free space,

and "Not Fragmented" refers NOT to the condition of the free space(s) but the condition of each file held in the block.

It would be prudent to take screen shots and evaluate when defragging is NOT in progress.

Drive D:\ was in a stable condition whilst drive C:\ was a work in progress.