Bug after Resume?

jaf

This seems like a bug. If I pause Defraggler and then later click on "Stop" by mistake, both "Pause" and "Stop" are grey out (unavailable) but the program shows indications (twirling icon) it is working or defragging. There doesn't seem to be any updating in the drive map. Trying to exit displays the message that Defraggler is busy....". I waited about 10 minutes and it didn't appear it was going to stop, so I began to get concerned I was losing data, so I forced the exit.

This seems to happen after Defraggler has been running a few hours and I stop it to do dome work on my computer.

winXP x64, 4GB, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+, 1.5TB, Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 with driver 285.58 24 Oct. 2011

No, I tried a couple short runs and saw the proper termination.

I usually run Defraggler at night while sleeping. I sometimes get up to check my email, so I'll usually pause and then let it resume when I'm done.

But sometimes I'll get busy and decide I don't want to resume; I'll just stop (abort) it, and that's when I see both pause and stop unavailable but the twirling icon indicating it's busy (plus the "defraggler is busy message if I try to force and exit.)

Just speculation, but maybe while Defraggler is paused, the disk activity from my Internet use is causing a situation that a controlled stop can't be completed? I'm not sure how to word that, but I think you know what I mean.

I should also mentioned that times I've seen this is when I'm defragging my boot drive. Tonight I'll see if I can get a screen shot.

winXP x64, 4GB, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+, 1.5TB, Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 with driver 285.58 24 Oct. 2011

Wouldn't you know it! I started Defraggler when I went to sleep but it completed when I got up to check it. I was hoping to pause it and mess around on the Internet a bit and then click "Stop." Oh well, I'll try again -- changing the minimum size in the defrag setting should do it.

Well, I changed the minimum file size from 250 to 50mb so the defrag would still be going in the morning, and it was. I clicked pause and mess with the Internet for a while, downloading a couple files and making an install. Then I clicked on "Stop" and it aborted as it should have. So I don't know now. I have seen the problem I described in this thread a few times. Guess I'll have to keep trying different things to see if I can narrow it down.