Design rule for Camera File system support?

Fractalogic

Hey all!

Are there any plans on supporting the DCF file system in Recuva? I suppose that supporting DCF would allow Recuva to access memory card information while the card is still inside the camera. That would be great, if possible.

DCF stands for Design rule for Camera File system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_rule_for_Camera_File_system

As far as I understand the Wikipedia article on this subject, the DCF is merely a "design rule" while the files are actually stored in a FAT file system. I know that Recuva supports FAT, but reading the files directly from the camera, in Recuva, that's a whole different story than having to insert the card in the computer.

If a media player, digital camera, mobile phone connected to Windows doesn't display a drive letter then it's not compatible with Recuva or any other recovery software.

These types of devices only transfer files like FTP, there's no direct disk access which is an important requirement for recovery software.

In the case of digital cameras with no drive letter in Windows recovery can only be done by physically removing the memory card and using it in an external USB memory card reader.

Richard S.