How to remove left-over registry keys of Winamp 5.62.

Sateros

I uninstalled Winamp 5.62 and used CCleaner for removing left-over registry keys. But once restarting Computer, all removed keys come back. How can I completely remove them?

They are

HKCU \Software \Microsoft \Windows \CurrentVersion \Explorer \FileExts.aac \OpenWitProgids

HKCU \Software \Microsoft \Windows \CurrentVersion \Explorer \FileExts.aif \OpenWitProgids

HKCU \Software \Microsoft \Windows \CurrentVersion \Explorer \FileExts.aiff \OpenWitProgids ......

21 keys in all.

• Moderators

Twenty times is excessive, I thought you meant you ran it maybe two or three times. In that case I don't think re-running it will help you. You need administrator rights to clean some registry areas, perhaps you can try right click the CCleaner shortcut and choose to Run as Administrator and see if that works.

I uninstalled Winamp 5.62 and used CCleaner for removing left-over registry keys. But once restarting Computer, all removed keys come back. How can I completely remove them?

You must tell us more.

If you Clean these keys and then close and open CCleaner and analyse and find they are still present,

then you need administrator rights and possibly special tools to overcome access restrictions / permissions issues.

If however they are recreated by shutting down and restarting the computer there is probably enough of Winamp still lurking on the system to recreate these keys on startup.

Autoruns can show you all sorts of stuff.

It can also fix but should be used with care - like all good tools doing the wrong thing may require a fresh install of Windows.

Tread with care.

I noticed there were registry keys which regenerate on boot up, as I used Eusing Registry Cleaner, this must be the same case. Sorry, I could not find administrator right as I right-clicked the CCleaner shortcut and there was no administrator right in the drop down. And could you explain more about autoruns?

On Windows 7 Ultimate a right click on the desktop shortcut gives a context menu,

and you need "Run As Administrator" which is fourth item down for me.

I think this is missing on XP.

You can use Windows Explorer to visit the folder holding CCleaner.exe and right click directly on this exe,

andthat should give the administrator option on "lower forms of Windows".

Autoruns is a free utility from

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/bb963902

They have a user forum with 117 topics at

http://forum.sysinternals.com/autoruns_forum16.html

• Moderators

On Windows 7 Ultimate a right click on the desktop shortcut gives a context menu,

and you need "Run As Administrator" which is fourth item down for me.

I think this is missing on XP.

XP lists a "Run As" listing, then a dialog appears to choose the Administrator level.

XP lists a "Run As" listing, then a dialog appears to choose the Administrator level.

You mean right click on the folder at start-up? Then I can choose administrator, but that is password protected. :(

Right click on the CCleaner desktop icon, or start menu icon and choose "Run As", then select the Admin account or an account with full admin privileges.

I could not choose admin account, as that was password protected.:(

• Moderators

The only other thing I can think of which may work:

1. Reinstall that version of Winamp.

2. Go into Winamp's file associations and untick/disable all of them.

3. Uninstall Winamp with Revo Uninstaller Free or IObit Uninstaller, either will work as they allow you to remove more/most of an application whereas the original uninstaller won't.

The only other thing I can think of which may work:

1. Reinstall that version of Winamp.

2. Go into Winamp's file associations and untick/disable all of them.

3. Uninstall Winamp with Revo Uninstaller Free or IObit Uninstaller, either will work as they allow you to remove more/most of an application whereas the original uninstaller won't.

That worked fine. I missed Revo Uninstaller for removing Winamp, I used Windows "add and remove of programs" this time ( not Winamp's ). Thanks, both of you for helping.