What Memory Type

johnnyblaze803

My computer has 4 memory slots available. I recently bought 2 PNY 512 MB PC2700 DDR333. The problem is, that they only fit into the 2 slots that already had factory cards in them. They wouldnt fit into the other slots for some reason. Could only get one side to latch down and that would kick up the other side. 2 are white and 2 are brown. Do they take different memory or something??

Try comparing the old memory with the new memory and see if the slots (at the bottom where it plugs) line up and are the same. Not all memory fits all computers. As an example, I recently got some cheap, but i needed 2 notches on the bottom, and only had one. If it kicks up, that could be the problem. Will the old memory fit the slot you are trying to use? What are the computer specs?

If it isn't broke, tweak it.

You know, i never tried to place the cards I took out into the empty spaces so that I will try. Other than that they appear to be the same, the originals and the ones I bought as far as I can tell atleast. I will also check out the link for future refference. thanks.

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 11/18/2005, 19:37:41

Machine name: GATEWAY

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Gateway

System Model: 510 2900468

BIOS: BIOS Date: 01/23/04 19:02:20 Ver: 08.00.10

Processor: Intel? Pentium? 4 CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory: 1022MB RAM

Page File: 269MB used, 1401MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

------------

Your Crucial System Scanner Report

Scan ID# A44524F431D926C3

Your Memory

Your computer currently has 1024 MB of memory installed; and will support up to 4096MB.

Slot 1

512 MB

Non-parity DDR PC2700

Slot 2

512 MB

Non-parity DDR PC2700

Slot 3

Empty

Slot 4

Empty

You have 2 empty memory slot(s) out of 4 total memory slots

Memory

The Gateway 510-series computer has four 184-pin DDR SDRAM DIMM sockets. Modules can be replaced or added up to a maximum of 4 GB. Following is the information needed to identify the correct modules for the 510-series computer.

2.5-volt (V) only, 184-pin DDR266, DDR333, or DDR400 SDRAM DIMMs with gold-plated contacts

Unbuffered, single-sided or double-sided DIMMs (double-sided DIMMs with ױ6 organization are not supported)

4 gigabytes (GB) maximum of total system memory

Non-ECC DIMMs supported

:rolleyes:

If it isn't broke, tweak it.