Recuva isn't detecting all missing photos

aPseudonym

So I was using Ubuntu up until about 3 days ago, which I decided to switch back to Windows 7. After backing up what I thought to be everything, I formatted and realized I forgot to save some photos. So began my hunt for good recovery software. I've tried a total of 6 different ones. Only one of them was I able to see the photos I had been looking for(VirtualLab)! Unfortunately, they charge $15 to restore 10mb of data.

I ran two or three scans with Recuva using different settings (but always with deep scan) to try and hunt down these photos but Recuva was unable to find them! The images are JPEG format. So I don't understand why VirtualLab is able to find them but Recuva isn't.

I've attached two images showing the details of one of the images which I need recovered. I have no idea what the details mean but they might be useful to whoever looks into this. Thanks and please ask if anymore details are required.14lo7k8.jpg1216gx1.png

I've seen Recuva fail in Deep Scan mode so I'm not surprised VirtualLab was more successful, however there's no preview window so you still don't know the condition of these files.

btw you shouldn't be recovering files from the same drive as the Operating System you decrease your changes of successful recovery due to disk write activity.

Richard S.

I've seen Recuva fail in Deep Scan mode so I'm not surprised VirtualLab was more successful, however there's no preview window so you still don't know the condition of these files.

btw you shouldn't be recovering files from the same drive as the Operating System you decrease your changes of successful recovery due to disk write activity.

Richard S.

There's a preview window in VirtualLab. That's been part of the problem! The reason I say part is, the preview of the images displays in full resolution from my phone! Which means the image comes out MUCH too large to display on my computer monitor. However, if there were a way to shrink the image to view it just full screen, I could use the snipping tool OR screen shot it, problem solved. However, I'm unable to find a way to do such a thing. A few of the other images I recovered, this is what I had to do since the images were able to fit on my monitor. Thanks for the reply though. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated as I'm running out of ideas and see the only option (if I really want these images) is to purchase two 10mb keys for $30 from VirtualLab. This is a last resort though.

• Moderators

Have you tried the Scan for Non-Deleted Files option in Recuva? It is apparently for use if a disk has been formatted: I can't work the logic out myself but it's worth a try if you haven't already.