CCleaner & RAM

thetimo

It could be a bug but I think it does show the correct RAM on Windows Vista and Windows 7.

Are you really sure you had 3 GBs of RAM?? Why not use Speccy and see if it really turns out this way??

http://www.piriform.com/speccy

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

On my system with 4 gigs of RAM and Windows XP SP3 (32-bit), CCleaner (v3.02.1343) is displaying the same 3.2 gigs of RAM that Windows XP sees.

Thetimo, I would try uninstalling CCleaner and then installing the latest release to see if that resolves your problem if Speccy is reporting 3 gigs on board.

• 2 weeks later...

I both upgraded my CCleaner to version 3.02.1043 and installed Speccy. CCleaner shows still only 2GB of RAM. Speccy, XP's System information and BIOS show 3GB though.

At least I'm happy that the memory modules are ok. B)

Oh, and my pc is HP NC6220. Is there something wrong with CCleaner?

Is there something wrong with CCleaner?

Nothing wrong of any significance.

Even if it could see the extra GB of RAM it would not delete any extra junk ! !

Perhaps your results differ from Majestic's because you are just short of the 3.2 GB boundary,

of perhaps one of you has the other XP (i.e. Pro vs Home)

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing wrong of any significance.

Even if it could see the extra GB of RAM it would not delete any extra junk ! !

Perhaps your results differ from Majestic's because you are just short of the 3.2 GB boundary,

of perhaps one of you has the other XP (i.e. Pro vs Home)

Alan

Maybe so, but it's somewhat hard to rely on it doing more complex tasks, if it fails on the simpler ones. Getting information from the system's iron is surely simple... :(

Maybe so, but it's somewhat hard to rely on it doing more complex tasks, if it fails on the simpler ones. Getting information from the system's iron is surely simple... :(

Everything is simple to those who do not know what is involved ! !

Are you really afraid that CCleaner cannot perform its primary task of cleaning temp files if it fails to accurately identify the "system's iron" ?

Are you afraid that when cleaning cookies it will instead delete your emails if it wrongly reports the CPU speed on an overclocked P.C. ?

Only if CCleaner attempted to clean or defragment the wrong amount of RAM would I fear disaster.

I do not see how an error on the amount of RAM would affect its ability to clean Index.dat.

I for one would be unhappy if CCleaner spent a minute doing a "Speccy" analysis before it did what it was launched for.

The only benefit I have seen of the "system specs" at the top of CCleaner is when a screen shot is submitted with a plea for help, and we can see the details of CCleaner version no., Operating System, and Service Packs.

You have told us so little about your system. Perhaps it is unusual.

Do you have 3 off identical RAM modules with the same speed and same size,

and bought from the same supplier at the same time ?

When I added 1 GB to the original 256 MB Ram on my Laptop,

the installation instructions from Crucial were very specific about which of the sockets should get my 1 GB.

If your 3 GB = 1 GB + 2 GB perhaps there may be a need to swap positions.

Alan