Defrag of very large file

Lofty

Hello,

I got an 1.5TB harddisk with an 1.4TB file on it.

I tried defragging the whole disk, it worked fine with a datarate about 20MB/s up to ~50% - random high CPU usage on both on my cores.

Position where it stops:

post-40757-081164700 1288545975_thumb.png

Then it slows down to almost nothing speed of below 10KB/s = it stops working.

And the CPU usage is now constant at 100%, but only on one core.

post-40757-039431600 1288545984_thumb.png

I've gave up after a few hours and tried a reboot.

After the reboot nothing changes, i.e. its crawling with <10KB/s.

With this 'speed' it won't finish in my life.

Because I noticed this behaviour, i ran it in debug mode.

This is the log. It ran yesterday, than i "Paused" it and hibernated windows. Today i booted and un-paused defraggler and everything went fine for hours, until its read-write-rate goes to zero.

Hm, log file is too big. (2,15MB) I will cut it into parts.

Defraggler.exe.1_21_2092010-10-30_14-31part1.txt

I'm sorry I cant upload the whole log, but it only continious this row ... until I aborted it.

[2010-10-31] [17:45:57.687] 00db4 1 DefragVolumeSinglePassHelper::LayFileAt#268 MoveFileRegionWithMarking for file "V:\int2" to 183159361, 182804008, 1 finished (hr=0x00000000). Destination block is not free.

[2010-10-31] [17:45:58.015] 00db4 1 DefragVolumeSinglePassHelper::LayFileAt#268 MoveFileRegionWithMarking for file "V:\int2" to 183159362, 182804009, 1 finished (hr=0x00000000). Destination block is not free.

Can I give you some further information?

Lofty

A file can only be defragged providing there is sufficient contiguous freespace equal to or more than the original file size.

In your case you do not have 1.4TB of free space to move your 1.4TB file therefore you will not be able to defrag it.

Richard S.

Hello,

thanksfor your quick reply.

As this is a fact, why started defraggler defraging this file and did not stop with a message?

It did a great job an the first half of the file, now there is just te second part to go, but it doesnt.

I hope I gave you an another hint of what could be a bottleneck in your engine.

I'm still here for questions.

Lofty

Hello,

I now noticed, that now my 500GB harddisk is affected too. This disk got 56% free space, but wont defrag, defraggler just holds.

I cant get defraggler working normal again. Is there anything i could try?

Bestwishes

Lofty

I would get another drive.

With a drive that full, your gonna need it.

Make sure you have a good system backup, then move say, 25% of your old drive to the new one to free up space to defrag.

Of course, sometimes it happens that you can have a lot of system restore points. May be able to disable system restore for that drive & see if that frees up space.

Additionally, I don't really think it is always good to try to use every last byte on a drive like that. Strange things can happen to your data when attempting to copy/move/delete/change things when you really don't have any space left.