Problem with CCleaner

mr don

CCleaner scans for Unused File Extensions in the registry cleaner.

But when I tested it, it came up with .7z as a good extension to remove.

The only problem with that is, that I still had it installed & still used it!

Please fix this, because this causes people more problems than any other part of the Registry Cleaner.

I think this is very dangerous & should be removed. It has also suggested at other times depending on what was installed/uninstalled, that .Mp3, or even .EXE were safe to remove.

Imagine what that does to people to cripple their ability to run .EXE programs? If you don't know what your doing, it is a real devil to fix!

Look at the pictures to see what I mean.

post-22717-067798100 1287375147_thumb.jpg

post-22717-099172500 1287375162_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

True that it can cause problems, and a few years back it gave me a real headache trying to figure out how to stop it from removing IrfanView's file associations.

In short for it to constantly show something like *.7z being invalid means you may very well have a file association problem on your system, this can happen if you've switched a software such as if you've went from WinRAR with it still registered to open *.7z and left it installed and then switched to 7-Zip. Sometimes reinstalling the software such as 7-Zip, etc., and then making sure all associations are registered in it may fix the issue - but it is a real headache to fix.

Edit:

You can also input registry exclusions, don't forget about that.

True that it can cause problems, and a few years back it gave me a real headache trying to figure out how to stop it from removing IrfanView's file associations.

Thanks for the help!

Of course, I am aware of these things, it is just that I thought it is very dangerous to continue to allow this to be scanned for in CCleaner with it being the most dangerous key that CCleaner can scan for.

Of interest & on the same note, if you install KM player, it can hijack the settings if you are not careful during install & take default. Not that I mind. It can play many formats WMP fails to play. But upon uninstall, the .MP3 extension is left with nothing associated, therefore it is "safe to remove"...

Then, there is malware or other programs that can change a user's default settings for opening a .EXE file. What happens when they think that is safe to remove?

The whole reason I want it removed is I just want CCleaner to be safe for the common people's. I agree with you on what you say though, very true.

I also believe it will stop a lot of the whole "CCleaner messed up my system & I cannot get it working again!" arguments that I have seen people post in here. While it may not eliminate them totally, I do believe it will make CCleaner far safer & greatly reduce such incidents.

P.S. I don't really think the settings are corrupted, however, but I do have 7Z, Winrar, Extract Now, + a couple other handlers on my system. All seem to be working fine with no problems at the moment.