Windows XP locks up

slaphappy

I am also a long time user of CCleaner with never the slightest problem so expected smooth sailing with Speccy. However, it seems i've had a similar experience to a number of other people, in that it caused my computer to completely lock up. I could not even Ctrl+Alt+Del to end the task, or turn off the computer. The only way I could get the computer to turn off was by pressing and holding the power button.

It seemed to be getting hungup on reading the RAM and hard drive.

I noticed that i was using an earlier version (1.03) so i uninstalled it and installed the latest version 1.04 however the same thing happened...although it did read the RAM and hard drive before freezing. Also this time when i tried to press some keys on my keyboard the computer made a loud scary beep. I had to do a hard shutdown using the power button again. This time when the computer restarted Windows automatically ran the chkdsk utility.

Something is clearly not right. I am running an HP laptop with windowsXP freshly re-installed, so the system is very clean. The only system monitors im running that could potentially interfere are Prevx and WinPatrol, but neither made a noise.

If there are some logs or error reports or other information that you would like me to provide that could help you debug please let me know soon, because i plan to uninstall the software.

Thanks

Do you get an exception.txt created in the installed folder?

If not, then run Speccy with /debug and you will get the option to enable/disable each section. A log will also be generated when you do this :)

Hi,

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately I need a bit of clarification on your suggestions.

Where is the "installed folder"? Do you mean the C:\Program Files\Speccy folder?

Also how would i run Speccy with /debug?

Thanks

Do you get an exception.txt created in the installed folder?

If not, then run Speccy with /debug and you will get the option to enable/disable each section. A log will also be generated when you do this :)

No errors under applications but several warnings and one error under system.

All Disk warnings "during a page file operation" and the error says "the driver detected a controller error" on the hard disk.

When the machine locks up everything locks up including the mouse. The computer would not respond at all.

Sorry I did not notice what the hard drive light did.

Do you have any noticeable error messages in the event logs (eventvwr.exe)??

When the machine locks up does the mouse stop moving, hard drive light stay constantly??

Richard S.