New startup pests removal...

mr don

Lately, I have noticed and alarming trend... Using the tasks folder to launch "startup" items... I was checking some Google Earth, Google Chrome, etc & noted that they had set themselves to update using the tasks folder instead of normal startup.

This is getting ridiculous! There are at least 2 startup items that need to be addressed.

BHO & Tasks folder. Both are getting regular hammering & abuse lately by newer applications seeking to "bypass" applications like CCleaner that enable a user to quickly disable an application from launching on startup.

Please, save us all! Is there any way to add the other 2 startup items under startup? Under the startup button, you can have BHO section, Startup, Tasks Folder. Those are all 3 locations that items startup from. Lately, more & more applications are starting to abuse these locations to permanently set themselves to "update", run processes, hide from normal users!

Please save us from this onslaught! BHO are all stored under 1 registry key I believe, so that should be a very simple matter to add, while tasks folder is always only in 1 folder as well on computers.

Does anyone else think it is a good idea to add the ability to disable the other 2 startup locations? I am beginning to feel so incomplete lately, trying to disable programs only to find out they do not have themselves in the normal startup locations, but hide in BHO or Tasks folder?

Here is a link that shows just how frustrated some users are getting at the new Google Updater "tasks" on startup!

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/earth/thread?tid=37ad9d03e5643889&hl=en

I believe you can see what I mean if you read the first couple paragraphs. While I can & do know how to stop it, I pity the millions who do NOT know BHO + Tasks folder are 2 additional folders where items can load on startup!

I sure hope this gets included into CCleaner, because more & more programs are added daily that are starting to try to "sneak into" the system by using these old & oft forgotten ways of loading!

Please, help us before I tear my hair out, lol!

Thanks!

I want the fewest possible number of programs launching from startup simply because they somehow make minor delays in the performance. I only have 2 startup items that I know of, my antivirus and the sidebar that shows my desktop gadgets.

I support this idea. However, going to System Configuration by typing msconfig on Run and going to the Startup tab can show some items that are not shown on CCleaner's module.

There are programs like Yahoo! Messenger for example, that even if you disable it with CCleaner or in the System Configuration option, they still launch at startup unless you disable that on its own program settings. Its quite annoying this way so I think they should make a way that will block this from happening.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

If you really want to see everything, use SysInternals AutoRuns. However, you'll see everything - including things that should never, ever be removed from startup, have weird names, don't explain what they do, etc. ;)

Piriform French translator

If you really want to see everything, use SysInternals AutoRuns. However, you'll see everything - including things that should never, ever be removed from startup, have weird names, don't explain what they do, etc. ;)

Correct!

But somehow, I have never seen BHO or Tasks that are dangerous to remove?

So I do not see the problem here!