CCleaner "missing alot" of junk files

phaT-X

will try and keep it short. Been using CCleaner for along time, I basically switched to it when I went x64 bit operating systems because the main ones I used back then, did not work on x64 bit systems. I have a total of 27 disk cleaners, some freeware like CCleaner, some trialware, and some registered versions like "SuperCleaner 2.96". Like I mentioned though, been strictly using "CCleaner" for years now. The other night, I was going thru my software I have backed up to my spare drive, seeing if anything had newer versions available. Once I got to my disk utilities folder, I saw my registered version of "SuperCleaner", went to their site to see if any updates were available and then I decided to install it because I have not used it in so long. So I installed SuperCleaner and left it on the 'default settings' and then ran a scan. It detected 392.94 mb in junk files. I "did not" delete them though, I was curious to see if CCleaner would detect the same or more...

Well, this is when the surprise and slight disappointment hit me, I was totally amazed when "CCleaner" only detect 19.9 mb in junk files. I was like, this must be a mistake or something, I thought that maybe SuperCleaner still had these files locked in memory or something and CCleaner could not detect them, so I rebooted and ran a scan again w/ CCleaner, it still "did not detect" these additional files. I then ran SuperCleaner again to see if they were still on my hdd. I still had 373.04 mb of junk files left, that is less the 19.9 mb CCleaner removed.

I then started looking at some of the files detected by SuperCleaner and their locations. Now, I did see how CCleaner would not have detected "one large file", it was a file w/ the extension .tmp (temp file), but it was located in C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\Quarantine .. since this location is within a installed programs folder, especially since it is security software, it missing it is understandable, this file was 167 mb in size. However, that still leaves a total of 206.04 mb in junk files "not detected/removed" from my harddrive/s. Bad thing is, 153.59 mb of the 206.04 mb not detected, was located in "C:\Windows\Temp" .. this folder should "always be scanned" and emptied. Though this location is not used nearly as much as it was with XP and earlier OS's, it's still used quite often, enough to make sure it's scanned and cleaned, also some of the files in it had extension of .tmp, which surely should be deleted. I also purposely added some files to this location with extensions of .old / .dmp / .diz / .log to see if CCleaner would detect/remove them.. but it did not!!!

Im not really sure what scanning method CCleaner uses and how it determines if it should / should not delete a file, but it is letting alot remain on your harddrive. For example, why do so many .tmp (temporary files) go undetected? Is it the location of these files? I think .tmp files should be removed regardless of location. Same for .old files too, as far as I can tell, CCleaner does not remove any of them as far as I can tell.

*I wanted to know if there was any place within "CCleaner" that I could see "what file extensions" it scans for?

*Can additional "file extensions" be added to "CCleaner" to scan for?

*Is there anyway to see what locations/directories "CCleaner" scans by default?

*Can these locations/directories be edited?

Thanks

• Moderators

Ccleaner actually uses locations, not file extentions, to clean. The files in this thread ( http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=15307 ) will tell you exactly what ccleaner cleans (see the end of the thread for the most recent version)

as far as windows\temp make sure that in ccleaner\options\advanced "only delete files in windows temp folders older than 24 hours" is not checked

While there, check the mark in "save all settings in ini file" exit ccleaner and open the folder with the ccleaner program (it may also be in the app data folder i'm not sure, I use portable ccleaner) and attach the ccleaner.ini file to this thread

finally you ask "Can these locations/directories be edited"

Yes take any or all of the files (winapp.ini winsys.ini and/or winreg.ini) in the zip file (from the above link) place them in your ccleaner program folder and rename them as win*1.ini (where *=win, reg, or sys as it already is called). Then, using a text editor open the file and edit the locations of your programs/system files as you need

:)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I agree it is reasonable to forgive CCleaner for not cleansing

C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\Quarantine

Do you think you should forgive Supercleaner for doing the opposite ?

If something is in quarantine it should be securely held there until a decision is made.

Supercleaner is jumping the gun if it implements instant execution.

Incidentally, do A.V. programs need special access control to flush a virus out and imprison in quarantine ?

Can a jump remover safely release it and execute it, or might the virus / rootkit / whatever seize the opportunity for business as normal ?

Alan

• Moderators

LOL Good call alan I didn't even see the part about Quarantine I would be unhappy if something (other than me or my A.V's auto purge after x days) cleaned my Quarantine. infact I find that quite suspect that you AV even allowed it. Hey Malware writer please write something that can easily have an effect on my captured files. :blink:

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com