Context menu - Norton 360 premier

puss

Hi,

I'm working for a support and I recently had a customer which lost some of context menu-options for Norton, for files/folders/directories.

Me and my colleague suspected that the issue would be a register-related one. I searched some and found a way to "merge" those removed registervalues, I merged them and rebooted.

Problem Fix'd.

Firstly, this context menu options isn't something that is used often by our customers. And our customers would, often, not be able to understand and merge or even come to this conclusion that it would be a register-related issue. And I'm not sure if they're even able to Uncheck Norton results, after a register-scan.

We downloaded the lastest version of ccleaner on a Lab-comp, and did a clean on the register and rebooted. No problem with the context menu.

My question is, since these options is implented during installation of Norton and removed during uninstall. Is this "issue" something a user have to correct by him/herself, or is it possible to make an update which ignores those values when cleaning the register. I informed the customer to uncheck Norton results or even to ignore cleaning the register, because this issue would probably re-appear after a clean.

I've got to mention, that I didn't check which version of ccleaner the customer had and since our "test" didn't remove those values, this is probably not even a problem, just merely some feedback.

Well, that was my two cents..

Want to clear out that I wasn't sure where to put this topic, remove or move if this is the wrong place for my cents!

Edited by puss

• Moderators

sadly one of your customers thinks they know what they are doing and is running the registry section of ccleaner. as Norton is a security product it tends not to "correctly" indentify it's registry entries (as that would make it easy to circumvent via malware). Thus when something came up as a registry issue the customer (without fortehought)deleted the entries.

Please see my signature for further explaination :)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

HIIIII

I M NEW IN THIS FORUM SO AS WEL I JUST NEED A HEL;P IN IT

AS WEL I WISH THAT THIS SITE WIL REPONSE ME AS WELL

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

May I ask, what combination of letters do you have?

• Moderators

Ye, exactly. Luckily, being able to merge is set to standard from what I've read.

Not sure I understand what you mean by "merge is set to standard" perhaps a translation issue? can you explain? by yes exactly, I assume you mean that a customer did run the reg section. the only thing you can do about that is either take away admin privilages from the customer or explain to the rationally not do to things that they don't understand (or charge them each time they do ;) )

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Not sure I understand what you mean by "merge is set to standard" perhaps a translation issue? can you explain? by yes exactly, I assume you mean that a customer did run the reg section. the only thing you can do about that is either take away admin privilages from the customer or explain to the rationally not do to things that they don't understand (or charge them each time they do ;) )

Oh, What I meant was from this page: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/faq/using/how-do-i-restore-registry-backups

"How do I restore registry backups?

Right-click on the .REG file created and select 'Merge'.

By default these files will be saved into your 'My Documents' folder.

"

I should've read it twice..