Registry Defrag

xSeanBoi

I think that CCleaner should have a registry defragmentation tool. I know that it a registry defrag option inside of CCleaner wouldn't really go with the name of the program, but it is (to my knowledge) the only program that can clean the registry, but not defragment it.

it's a pointless exercise though

Not from my experience. If you use a registry cleaner, it will allow for fragmentation just as a disk cleaner would allow. Using a registry defrag tool will close the gaps and enable the system to retrieve information for the registry a lot easier and faster, thus increasing system speed. Though it may only be a tiny increase, some people would still appreciate the little boost in speed. Also, I do a lot of testing for programs that are in beta development so with all of the install/uninstall that I do, my registry needs a good clean and defrag. I'm sure I am not the only one who has need for this feature.

• Moderators

This has been discussed to death, and there's hordes of other topics about wanting it.

I'm neither for or against such an option in CCleaner since I do use a registry defrag program myself, although I seriously wish people would search the forum first since there's many other requests for the feature which they could continue the discussion in one of those older topics.

This has been discussed to death, and there's hordes of other topics about wanting it.

I'm neither for or against such an option in CCleaner since I do use a registry defrag program myself, although I seriously wish people would search the forum first since there's many other requests for the feature which they could continue the discussion in one of those older topics.

I did search before posting but seeing as how there are numerous other topics on the same subject, it seemed futile to post a reply in one of those. Choosing one of the pre-existing topics to reply to is not the easiest decision to make. Plus, I'm on dial-up so scouring each topic to find one worth replying to seemed a daunting task.

This should be in Defraggler. Not CCleaner.

Technically speaking, it could be posted in either section. Here's why:

CCleaner - cleans the registry, allowing for fragmentation, so the program should also include a registry defrag

Defraggler - defragments the files and folders on the hard drive, makes sense to have it defrag the registry as well

As said above, it's been discussed to death. Older machines might see a 0.0000*3% performance boost.

The only thing that would improve is boot time by defragging the registry file which isn't registry defragging per se, as in you're not defragging the registry, you are defragging the file that the registry gets saved into.

It will only improve boot/startup time, it will not improve standard system performance

No fate but what we make

• Moderators

Windows already does something with the registry itself automatically. I wouldn't call it an auto registry defrag but I've seen something similar to that happen several times on my WinXP system when Windows makes the whole registry smaller. For some reason this just a few months old installation of XP I have the registry is never fragmented anymore when I check it.

• 2 weeks later...

Technically speaking, it could be posted in either section. Here's why:

CCleaner - cleans the registry, allowing for fragmentation, so the program should also include a registry defrag

Defraggler - defragments the files and folders on the hard drive, makes sense to have it defrag the registry as well

Can't something be clean yet fragmented? ;)

Any write to disk can potentially cause fragmentation. Should virtually every program defrag after itself?

If they're on an NTFS partition, Defraggler can defrag open registry hives just like any other file. If they're on FAT, try pagedefrag.