The Colors

Diesel

I just got Defragger and I love it! But I have a question that I couldn't answer by looking in the help section or in this fourm section. It's actualy really simple: What do all the colors mean? I know what blue and red but what about black, purple, brown, light blue, yellow, green and white?

If there is already a post about this just link it for me.

Thanks,

Diesel

• 5 months later...

Thanks guess I was looking in the wrong places.

I really like Defraggler's display GUI, but I miss the Unmoveable Files feature of Windows XP Defrag. Hope maybe this will be put into the 2.0 when released.

Request #1 -

I just upgraded to v1.21.209, and I found that the Colors are NOT all explained in the Help >> Drive Map Legend. For instance, I have some Red blocks like the red that is shown in the Legend, but I have several times greater numbers of blocks that are slightly different, a sort of Orange-red that is not explained on the Legend. I have a large number of Blue blocks, and also a lesser number of blocks that are different, a sort of Grayish-blue. Please, Piriform experts, add all your colors into the Legend panel, with appropriate explanations. I expect that many will thank you, if those missing colors can be explained in your reply to this, or if the Color Map legend can be updated.

Request #2 -

Please shrink the size of the Drive Map Legend panel. It obscures too much of the monitor. I like the generous size of the colorboxes, that makes the colors plain; but there is no need for so much blank space between, and the font size need not be so large (or, make it adjustable by CTRL+/- as is the font size in the Firefox browser, please.

Request #3 --

Would it speed up Defraggler, if more of my 2GB RAM were used? (Windows XP Professional (x86) SP3) I mean, read more off the drive at each gulp, and use RAM to sort out more file then write it all in optimum order back to the drive to reduce overall time in accumulated seeks, back and forth over the drive. Would probably also help preserve drive lifetime - my drive is growing "long in the tooth" and I have to fear that my next Defraggle will overwork it and it might fail - Not to imply any fault of Piriform Defraggler, of course, because Windows Defrag is I expect, even harder on an old drive. This suggestion is intended to help Piriform expand your competitive advantages over other defragmentation utilities. [An afterthought - Should each Request be placed into a separate posting in this Forum?]

FYI - I have just run "Analyze" in the v1.21.209, for my first time, and am making these comments, and will "defraggle" the drive later. Thank you, for making Defraggler available at no cost! Being long-term unemployed with MSEE through no fault of my own except growing out of my 20s and 30s, and with family to support and debts threatening to grow, I couldn't afford the Pro right now, but I can familiarize myself with Piriform products and hope for better times when I can pay honestly for the services I would like to use. Thank you, again!

Sincerely,

R&DDude

P. S. Thank you, for providing this Forum, and thank you even more, for including a superb feature that I have not seen with other software forums, that is, the window for editing my Preview-ed Post is right here without opening a new window or tab, and it does not impose on me any trouble of switching back and forth, I just hit Preview Post button again, to see if the editing changes are in the Preview yet! And, plenty of character space, too! Beautiful! -- R.