Place files on the tracks you want

Firstly, I want to say that I am new here and I didn't take the time to look if something like that has been proposed before. And that is because I don't have much time these days. Anyway, what I wanted to propose is that you add an option to put a specific file the most outer track of the disk. I am no major programmer but as far as I know the outer disk tracks have higher transfer rate than the inner. This could help in occasions when you have a program (game in my case) that you want to run at the best performance but do not use it very often. Isn't, by the way, the Defraggler based to move the most used files in the outer tracks and the less used to inner? That's why I say to put an option to place the data in a desired track no matter of how of often you used it.

I hope I am saying that worths trying and I am waiting for replies.

as far as I know the outer disk tracks have higher transfer rate than the inner

Actually reading data near the outer edge of the disk is a lot slower than at the start, you can see difference by performing a benchmark test using HD Tune.

I'm not sure about the technical reasons but I think the drive has to work extra hard to read the magnetic surface near the outer edge due to it's physical design.

Richard S.

Well, I didn't know that (nor do I know how to use HD Tune). Then I should change my proposal to move files to the inner tracks or, anyway, in the fastest part of the disk. The point is to put them in the the place of the disk you want to achieve the better performance when using them, even if you don't use them often. (And, yes I know this is going to slow down my computer in general.)