Manual File Placement

Nathan Laing

I love Defraggler.

Add the ability to manually relocate data to a desired location on the drive.

For example, make the existing drive map interactive whereby one could click, select and drag individual files or data "blocks" and drag/drop them into the desired location on the drive. Once the data was moved, one could mark those sectors as unmovable by Defraggler.

• 4 weeks later...

I am looking for something similar. I am trying to move all of the files from the end of the drive so I can reduce the drive size (Vista, disk management ...).

I have tried the defrag freespace option, but it didnt' work as expected. I expected that all files (except unmovable system files) would be moved into one block at the start of the drive, leaving the largest possible blocks of freespace, and hopefully leaving the tail end of the drive free so I could reduce the size of the drive. (Want to reduce drive size prior after doing a clean OS re-install and initial setup of base applications. Then will do a image copy I can use to recover from in future, rather than doing fresh OS install and attendant time wasting.)

For example, I've got about 20gig of unused space on drive, but have several "straggler" files near end of drive. For example last block contains is 'grey blue' that is not on the legend, and when I hover over it says 1 file, and file list says "C:\$bitmap". But I can't find the file in explorer or a cmd window which is runas admin.

PS: it would also be nice to be able to generate a text file listing filenames (and full path), optionally including attributes. That way I could massage the file to create move commands, ie move to another drive then move back so they are no longer so inconvinenetly placed (granted it wouldn't work with system files).

PS: I think it would be better if the legend was displayed all the time.

PS: in the file list it would also be nice to see all of the file attributes too, ie: Hidden, system, Junction(!)