Registry restore

2010King

I am using windows 7, 64 bit, CCleaner freeware.

Before I make a donation, I ran Cleaner & everything worked fine.

I then ran CCleaner "registry" (included Registry backup before fix) & ended up getting an TrayApp.msi error everytime I log onto my computer.

After review of the problem, it appears that the best (& probably only) cure is to restore the registry from the backup.

I am unable to access a method of accessing the registry backup from within CCleaner.

According to the CCleaner WEB site, "Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the folder with the Registry backup (a file with the extension .REG). By default, CCleaner stores these backups in your My Documents folder."

The registry backup file in was not in "My Documents" folder. Also, the backup file name extension is not "reg" it is; ".regtrans-ms".

When I run Regedit, I cannot import files without an File name extension of .reg. It will allow me to import a backup file named ".regtrans-ms" as a "Registry Hive File"

By one CCleaner instruction I am to right click the respective back up and click merge.

When I right click .regtrans-ms, there is no "MERGE" selection. The only reasonable selection is "RESTORE PREVIOUS VERSION".

By another CCleaner instruction, I am to; "Double-click the Registry file". You are prompted to confirm the action: Click Yes to restore the Registry." When I "Double-click the Registry file" a window pops up that says "Windows can't open this file".

Bottom line is that I am I am afraid to use any of these procedures!

How do I safely restore my register?

This info is provided to clarify what happened.

The first time I got a “TrayApp.msi error” when I log onto my computer was just after running “Ccleaner”, "Registry".

I researched of the “TrayApp.msi error” on the WEB.

One source indicated that noted the problem occurred right after running a “registry repair program” and was able to repair the problem by inserting his “HP Printer Installation disc”, locating a file named “TrayApp.msi” and installing it.

I have a HP Photosmart C5180 All-In-One Printer-Scanner-Copier that didn’t have an installation disc. It is “Plug & Play” and as such installed when it was plugged in. In the interest of correcting the problem, I disconnected the printer, uninstalled it and all its associated programs. I then reinstalled it by reattaching it to my computer system. The “TrayApp.msi error” problem persisted.

I searched HP & Microsoft for a “TrayApp.msi” file to install or an alternate fix. None were in evidence.

Another source that offered a fix noted that the problem occurred right after running a “registry repair program” and was able to repair the problem by restoring the “registry”.

Since I couldn’t remember where the .reg file was saved or what the file name was, I ran a search for .reg on Drive C (search-ms:displayname=Search%20Results%20in%20HP%20(C%3A)&crumb=fileextension%3A~

<.reg%20OR%20System.Generic.String%3A.reg&crumb=location:C%3A%5C).

I also ran a search for *.*reg* on Drive C (search-ms:displayname=Search%20Results%20in%20HP%20

(C%3A)&crumb=fileextension%3A~*.*reg**&crumb=location:C%3A%5C) which resulted in the same results.

The location & file name was;

C:\Users\Chuck\NTUSER.DAT{016888bd-6c6f-11de-8d1d-001e0bcde3ec}.TMContainer00000000000000000001.regtrans-ms

The following files were created at the exact same time;

ntuser.dat, Created April 26, 2010 12:26:16 PM, Opens with Windows Shell Common Dll

ntuser.dat.LOG1, Created April 26, 2010 12:26:16 PM, Opens with Windows Shell Common Dll

ntuser.dat.LOG2, Created April 26, 2010 12:26:16 PM, Opens with Windows Shell Common Dll

NTUSER.DAT{016888bd-6c6f-11de-8d1d-001e0bcde3ec}.TM.blf, Created April 26, 2010 12:26:16 PM, Opens with Windows Shell Common Dll

Hi, 2010King. :)

That is a well stated question. You are wise to be cautious about the registry.

I did a quick online search, didn't find anything particularly persuasive. Wait till one of the members familiar with win 7 or a moderator advises you. In the meantime, search your hard drive for a file with the extension .reg just in case it is there and you are missing it. On my computer (win xp home) any backup made by CCleaner starts the filename with "cc_" without the quotes, and ends with .reg.

Also, you can tell CCleaner where to put the backup reg file, then you will always know where it went.

If you don't hear something soon, repost your question here: http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showforum=4

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

Hi 2010King, and welcome to Piriform.

CCleaner reg backups looks like this ... "cc_20100131_234157.reg", and unless you change the path yourself, the default location for them is "My Documents".

The file you refer to is something else entirely:

File extension REGTRANS-MS description:

File extension used by WIndows Vista and Windows 7. These files are created dynamically to prevent the registry becoming corrupt - basically whenever you make a setting change, it will be written to files such as that instead before being written to the real file - that way if something goes wrong there is a recovery option.

Link:

From the little research I've done, a "trayapp.msi" error appears to be linked to HP devices. Printer or Scanner maybe. Have you installed an HP device recently?

If so, running the installation again may get rid of the error.

These links may help.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c00811375

http://www.help2go.com/Tutorials/Windows_Errors/My_PC_Keeps_Asking_Me_for_TrayApp.msi.html

Post back of course if you still have the problem.

On my hard drive I have many .reg files, but only those were created by ccleaner start with the characters cc_ like the one DennisD showed. Is that right, Dennis, even for win 7?

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

• Moderators

On my hard drive I have many .reg files, but only those were created by ccleaner start with the characters cc_ like the one DennisD showed. Is that right, Dennis, even for win 7?

When I get Win7 login I'll let you know. :lol:

I would guess they're saved by CCleaner in exactly the same format whatever the OS.

are you sure dennis? i hap my suspicions and just checked and the default it asked me for was ccleaner in my progas

No fate but what we make

• Moderators

are you sure dennis? i hap my suspicions and just checked and the default it asked me for was ccleaner in my progas

There isn't a quote in your reply, so I'm assuming you mean the default location for the CC backups?

Still the same, "My Documents":

rBNH8s.jpg

Edited by DennisD
Changed to less cluttered screenshot

ame='ident' date='06 May 2010 - 11:11 PM' timestamp='1273183913' post='168222']

There isn't a quote in your reply, so I'm assuming you mean the default location for the CC backups?

Still the same, "My Documents":

rBNH8s.jpg

very strange, mines 2yxpwf4.png

nevr once made a back up with cc

No fate but what we make

2010King, did you find a file with a .reg extension and with the characters cc_ in front of the name?

• Moderators

nevr once made a back up with cc

Which OS are you on ident?

I've never known any other default location besides "My Documents", but there are differences to the CCleaner GUI, and to some of the features depending upon your OS, so maybe there's a different default location for Win7 for example, although I've never seen it mentioned on here.

Thank you for your effort & reply.

This info is provided to clarify what happened.

The first time I got a ?TrayApp.msi error? when I log onto my computer was just after running ?Ccleaner?, "Registry".

I researched of the ?TrayApp.msi error? on the WEB.

One source indicated that noted the problem occurred right after running a ?registry repair program? and was able to repair the problem by inserting his ?HP Printer Installation disc?, locating a file named ?TrayApp.msi? and installing it.

I have a HP Photosmart C5180 All-In-One Printer-Scanner-Copier that didn?t have an installation disc. It is ?Plug & Play? and as such installed when it was plugged in. In the interest of correcting the problem, I disconnected the printer, uninstalled it and all its associated programs. I then reinstalled it by reattaching it to my computer system. The ?TrayApp.msi error? problem persisted.

I searched HP & Microsoft for a ?TrayApp.msi? file to install or an alternate fix. None were in evidence.

Another source that offered a fix noted that the problem occurred right after running a ?registry repair program? and was able to repair the problem by restoring the ?registry?.

Since I couldn?t remember where the .reg file was saved or what the file name was, I ran a search for .reg on Drive C (search-ms:displayname=Search%20Results%20in%20HP%20(C%3A)&crumb=fileextension%3A~

<.reg%20OR%20System.Generic.String%3A.reg&crumb=location:C%3A%5C).

I also ran a search for *.*reg* on Drive C (search-ms:displayname=Search%20Results%20in%20HP%20

(C%3A)&crumb=fileextension%3A~*.*reg**&crumb=location:C%3A%5C) which resulted in the same results.

The location & file name was;

C:\Users\Chuck\NTUSER.DAT{016888bd-6c6f-11de-8d1d-001e0bcde3ec}.TMContainer00000000000000000001.regtrans-ms

The following files were created at the exact same time;

ntuser.dat, Created April 26, 2010 12:26:16 PM, Opens with Windows Shell Common Dll

ntuser.dat.LOG1, Created April 26, 2010 12:26:16 PM, Opens with Windows Shell Common Dll

ntuser.dat.LOG2, Created April 26, 2010 12:26:16 PM, Opens with Windows Shell Common Dll

NTUSER.DAT{016888bd-6c6f-11de-8d1d-001e0bcde3ec}.TM.blf, Created April 26, 2010 12:26:16 PM, Opens with Windows Shell Common Dll

The problem still is: How do I safely restore my register?

• Moderators

Hi again.

If you are certain you saved a backup, and I'm not doubting you, just double checking, then it will be somewhere.

CCleaner remembers the last save location, so you could find where it went by running an "Issues" scan again with CCleaner, and as long as you have the "Show Prompt To Backup..." checkbox checked, when you select the "Fix..." button, the save dialogue will pop up, showing where it intends to save the backup, which will be the same as the previous save location.

You can then quit CCleaner without going through the "Fix Selected..." process, and check that location.

And just to repeat, a CCleaner reg backup looks like this:

"cc_20100131_234157.reg"

It always has this format although with different date etc, unless manually changed by a user whilst saving. Anything else has nothing to do with CCleaner, which means I couldn't suggest any other way to you to restore your registry.

As I mentioned in post #3 above, the "REGTRANS-MS" is some kind of Vista/Win7 registry backup, but not belonging to CCleaner I couldn't recommend you restore it as I have no idea what it would do.

Vista/Win7 users may be able to advise you about their use.

Drivers for win 7 64 bit are at the HP Drivers site. Its a big download, but it might be the CD you need.

Here is a picture

th_cc_regbaks2.jpg

shows me where I put the last CCleaner reg backup file. Should mention that I renamed them from the CCleaner Default. :)