CCleaner seems failing to delete win xp hotfix

Hello,

When I run CCleaner 2.30 ruling to delete hotfix files for WinXP (SP3), it does delete files, but registry keeps lots of invalid entries, like:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP4\KB956744]

"UninstallCommand"="C:\\WINDOWS\\$NtUninstallKB956744$\\spuninst\\spuninst.exe "

[Dozens of entries like this!]

(The folder $NtUninstallKB956744$ does not exist anymore)

Same with other updates:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP4\KB954550-v5\Filelist\9]

"Location"="c:\\9886a9cf321aa4edcb\\update\\..\\i386"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{53F5C3EE-05ED-4830-994B-50B2F0D50FCE}]

"InstallSource"="c:\\076ee9b6da8e86353e6f368b383feff5\\Setup\\"

Now, I would not delete by myself any of those keys because they also contain "valid" information, like a description of the hot fix and version info. However, why would CCleaner delete the files and keep the "trace" in the registry of what was deleted? I think that if it will delete hot fixes, it should delete all info, including registry records. But if that is not safe, why deleting only the files and leaving an invalid path in the registry?

Thanks!!

• Moderators

Removing the hotfix files never removes any registry keys. I've always ran CCleaner's registry cleaner followed by another one that searches even deeper after removing them, and have never had an issue doing it.

Removing the hotfix files never removes any registry keys. I've always ran CCleaner's registry cleaner followed by another one that searches even deeper after removing them, and have never had an issue doing it.

Yeah! that's the point: why 2 tools if CCleaner COULD do the full cleaning?