are files recovered by Recuva safe to remove with CCleaner

roma14

hi everyone,

yesterday i decided to do a scan of all drives with Recuva (deep scan) and it took me a night and a whole day and still only 35 % of data was recovered into a file on a desktop. i decided to just throw accumulated folders little by little into the recycle bin, but...then i realized that many recovered folders were stuff like Audio Info, Windows, Users, Recovery etc...i kind of freaked out a bit and decided not to run Ccleaner, instead just clean up the recycle bin regularly so they can stay dormant somewhere in my computer, but not deleted forever. due to the huge weight of data being thrown into the recycle bin they couldn't fit in there so i was asked if i wanted to delete those folders forever. well i clicked yes in the hopes that they wont be erased. now the basket is empty, but everytime i run the ccleaner it starts cleaning the recycle bin. i always cancel. i am worried that important data may be erased that way. how can i undo it? since these data were recovered then it means they were "lost" in the first place and it`s ok to delete them with ccleaner?

thanks.

i just realized an option "show files in hidden system directories" was ticked. is my computer effed at this point?

• 3 weeks later...

Well technically if you run the Cclean for what ever options you have checked off it is supposed to wipe then clean it and make them non recoverable.. thats basically what the cleaning process is for.. to get rid of old deleted files etc.. and free up space on the hard drive.But it will not always completely wipe everthing. and unless you want to recover what is on the hard drive then i would not worry about any deleted files folders etc..that is on the drive.

And like i said it depends what options you have going with the cleaner.. i mean you have your security set for as many passes as you are allowing, so this means technically it is supposed to secure and wipe the files folders etc.. so if you have stuff in your recycle bin that you do not wiped out.. then be sure not to have that option on.. But it's basically you have to set the options on what you wish to do.. or don't run the cleaner.. just delete stuff and you can always recover latter.

So i am lil unsure exactly what it is your asking or how you have ran it. i think i understand what you mean so hopefully this will help a lil.

• Moderators

Roma, what on earth are you doing? There is absolutely and utterly no point in recovering deleted files and then deleting them. If you want to overwrite already deleted files then use Recuva to do this. Highlight or check the files found by Recuva, right click and select secure delete. That's it.

Roma, what on earth are you doing? There is absolutely and utterly no point in recovering deleted files and then deleting them. If you want to overwrite already deleted files then use Recuva to do this. Highlight or check the files found by Recuva, right click and select secure delete. That's it.

Augeas

You dont understand it dont work. The option for recuva secure overwrite deleted files on the drive is not working.And Cclean is not the answer either.thats what a lot of people are haveing problems with. thats why i explained in that long post in that other thread how i was able to accomplish what they are asking. Sure if the recuva worked as you said. then that would be great and there would be no problems. but at this time the secure file feature for recva is not working correctly.You can highlight or check off all the files you want want.

When you go to secure them. some error comes up and says 0 files secured in 0.1 seconds (or something like that)

Si it's just a glitch or problem with recuva right know. i am pretty sure the techs are aware of this by now and hopefully it can be fixed in the next update

Just for the record i am not sure if thats what roma14 was asking or not?

I think roma wants to make sure he dose not lose erase files if he runs Cclean?

not sure.. i guess things can get very confusing at times..

tech stuff for computers can drive a person nuts sometimes... lol

Augeas

You dont understand it dont work. it wont delete the secure files. thats what a lot of people are haveing problems with. thats why i explained in that long post in that other thread how i was able to accomplish what they are asking. Sure if the recuva worked as you said. then that would be great and there would be no problems. but at this time the secure file feature for recva is not working correctly.You can highlight or check off all the files you want want.

When you go to secure them. some error comes up and says 0 files secured in 0.1 seconds (or something like that)

Si it's just a glitch or problem with recuva right know. i am pretty sure the techs are aware of this by now and hopefully it can be fixed in the next update

Just for the record i am not sure if thats what roma14 was asking or not?

The problem is that Recuva will recover the file to a different location. So there will be two copies of your file : one securely overwritten, and thus deleted forever, and the other one, deleted but not overwritten.

If Roma really has some very important documents to erase, using CCleaner's Wipe Free Space may be a good choice.

Piriform French translator

The problem is that Recuva will recover the file to a different location. So there will be two copies of your file : one securely overwritten, and thus deleted forever, and the other one, deleted but not overwritten.

If Roma really has some very important documents to erase, using CCleaner's Wipe Free Space may be a good choice.

Yes that is how it's supposed to work.

The problem is that recuva's option for securely overwriting deleted files on the hard drive dose not work.

And when running Cclean.. sure it frees up some space and permanently deletes some files.

But the majority of files still remain.. So once recuva fixes this small glitch of the secure overwrite files is fixed.

Then no one will have this problem. but as of now this option for recuva dose not appear to be working. And Cclean will only do so much the majority and bulk of all deleted files on the drive are still there and left behind.