Why does update link in CCleaner ignore default?

SaintSatinStain

My default browser is SeaMonkey, but when I click the link in CCleaner to check the version online both SeaMonkey and Internet Explorer 8 open. Why? How can I fix this so that only SeaMonkey opens? I've tried Set Program Access and Defaults.

saint satin stain

Qui bibit, dormit; qui dormit, non peccat; qui non peccat, sanctus est; ergo qui bibit sanctus est.

I would guess that some URL protocol isn't associated with SeaMonkey.

For Win XP (Vista and 7 seem to be more limited here), you want to check Tools > Folder Options > File Types and make sure something obvious isn't associated with IE (of course, some will not be associated with SM). Check the URL protocols entries near the top of the list.

I would guess that some URL protocol isn't associated with SeaMonkey.

For Win XP (Vista and 7 seem to be more limited here), you want to check Tools > Folder Options > File Types and make sure something obvious isn't associated with IE (of course, some will not be associated with SM). Check the URL protocols entries near the top of the list.

The only one not associated with SeaMonkey is

URLLDAP Protocol

"C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\wab.exe" /ldap:%1

But that one is about Outlook Express address book.

saint satin stain

Qui bibit, dormit; qui dormit, non peccat; qui non peccat, sanctus est; ergo qui bibit sanctus est.

Hrm. Sounds like one of those weird and idiopathic Windows situations. You are correct - SM has no need to be associated with LDAP.

I use SM as my browser as well, and have never encountered this issue, so I have no really good guesses here. Long ago I had some similar type of experience, but can't recall it well. Nothing in the CCleaner settings (reg or ini) that I can see where one could affect this behavior.

So, my suggestions are limited to (in no particular order):

--Set IE as the default browser, then reset SM as default, then try the link.

--Completely uninstall then reinstall SM. - Back up you profile with MozBackUp first. Try the CCleaner link before restoring your profile.

--Profile the system activity which takes place after clicking the link in CCleaner to find out what is happening. Use Process Monitor from SysInternals/Microsoft for this http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896645.aspx

Caveat: This may or may not be your cup of tea.

I have little to no experience with IE since IE6 - perhaps there is something in the IE config you can change?