Speccy caused my computer to crash

daratcliffe

I know this is a beta program so this is not a complaint, it is just for your information.

I downloaded Speccy v1.00.125 Beta from filehippo.com.

I installed the program and ran it. The details of my computer started to appear and then the screen froze, a blue screen flashed on for a split second and then my computer restarted. :huh:

I tried the program a second time a few days later from a fresh reboot and the same thing happened again. However this time my computer failed to restart. I turned it off and back on again and the Bios screen didn't even come on. :(

After a few minutes I tied to restart my computer and was successful. I have now uninstalled Speccy.

While Speccy was installed on my computer I also noticed a slowing down of the system, which since it was uninstalled has gone away. <_< I don't know if the two things are connected, but I thought I should mention it.

My System

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600

System Manufacturer ECS

System Model Nforce3-A939

System Type X86-based PC AMD Athlon XP 3800+

Processor x86 Family 15 Model 47 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~2519 Mhz

BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 01/08/2005

SMBIOS Version 2.2

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"

NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS

You've had a blue screen of death but because your Windows is configured to reboot on error it didn't stay on the screen.

Have a look in C:\Windows\Minidump\ do you see loads of .dmp files??

Could you zip the dmp files around the time of your crash with Speccy and upload here, perhaps the developers might want to have a look if they're not too busy.

Richard S.

You've had a blue screen of death but because your Windows is configured to reboot on error it didn't stay on the screen.

Have a look in C:\Windows\Minidump\ do you see loads of .dmp files??

Could you zip the dmp files around the time of your crash with Speccy and upload here, perhaps the developers might want to have a look if they're not too busy.

Richard S.

I looked in C:\Windows\Minidump\ and it was empty. Does Ccleaner clear it out? If so, what irony. :rolleyes:

In the event of a bug check this should be written to the system log unless Ccleaner cleans this also??

"Start" "Run" eventvwr.exe - click on "System" and look for "saved dump" or "bug check" around the time of your crashes.

Do you have any entries??

Richard S.

In the event of a bug check this should be written to the system log unless Ccleaner cleans this also??

"Start" "Run" eventvwr.exe - click on "System" and look for "saved dump" or "bug check" around the time of your crashes.

Do you have any entries??

Richard S.

TWO EVENTS

1.)

Event Type: Information

Event Source: Service Control Manager

Event Category: None

Event ID: 7035

Date: 23/03/2010

Time: 17:04:37

User: MESH\David

Computer: MESH

Description:

The speccy service was successfully sent a start control.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

2.)

Event Type: Information

Event Source: Service Control Manager

Event Category: None

Event ID: 7035

Date: 23/03/2010

Time: 17:04:39

User: MESH\David

Computer: MESH

Description:

The cpuz132 service was successfully sent a start control.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Then came the CRASH