History still showing

jimta

• Moderators

Hi jimta, and welcome to Piriform.

Which Operating System are you using, and which Browser?

If Firefox, there has been an issue recently with Firefox "Sidebar" history not being cleaned, and it is being looked at by the devs.

My Google Chrome history is not being completely cleared by Ccleaner.

After running Ccleaner, I open Chrome, click the + tab, and in New Tab, I see my "Most visited" sites in the Thumbnail view (and List view).

The only way to clear these "Most visited" sites appears to be in Chrome itself: first, click the spanner icon (top right) and select "Options". Then, go to the "Personal Stuff" tab, go down to the "Browsing data:" section and click the "Clear browsing data..." button. In the "Clear Browsing Data" window, make sure that "Clear browsing history" is selected and set "Clear data from this period:" to a suitable value (like "Everything"). Then click the "Clear Browsing Data" button to do the job.

The attached screen-print shows the problem and Chrome solution.

Can this be done by Ccleaner?

My system:

MS Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2

Google Chrome 4.0.266.0

Piriform Ccleaner v2.28.1091

Google_Chrome_Most_visited_sites.pdf

Hello,

I can't be the only one this is happening to..

I'm running on Windows Vista SP1, Ccleaner 2.25 and now 2.29 and using Inter Explorer 8.

After upgrading to v. 2.25 it doesn't clean my all search history.

If I type the first 4 letter great amounts of websites with the beginning of the url like that show up.

It doesn't clean all my IE8 history, The rest is all cleaned nicely.

Any solutions?

Thank you in advance!

Yes, osgoodwosgood, that happens to me too. In IE8, you start tyoing "www" in the address bar and it suggests some "Favorites".

Ccleaner doesn't remove the list but there is an IE8 tool to do the job. In the IE8 menu bar, open the Tools menu, then click "Internet Options". In the "Internet Options" pane, click the "Content" tab. In the "AutoComplete" section, click "Settings". In the "AutoComplete Settings" pane, click "Delete AutoComplete history...". Don't bother with any of the other settings that look interesting: they did nothing for me, and there is a better way to avoid building history (see below).

Now you are in the "Delete Browsing History" pane. If you can't see this heading, click "Cancel", drag the "AutoComplete Settings" pane nearer the middle of your screen, and click "Delete AutoComplete history..." again.

In the "Delete Browsing History" pane, I de-selected "Preserve Favorites website data", left selected the next 4 options (notably "History") and left the remaining 2 at the bottom de-selected. Click OK buttons until you are back in IE8. That is it. Yes, pity that Ccleaner doesn't do it (yet?).

Meanwhile, use IE8's "In-Private" browsing to stop history being recorded in this way. In the IE8 menu bar, open the Tools menu, then click "InPrivate Browsing". Or, in IE8, use Ctrl+Shift+P. Your web page displays this:

InPrivate is turned on

When InPrivate Browsing is turned on, you will see this indicator [not reproduced in this forum post]

InPrivate Browsing helps prevent Internet Explorer from storing data about your browsing session. This includes cookies, temporary Internet files, history, and other data. Toolbars and extensions are disabled by default. See Help for more information.

To turn off InPrivate Browsing, close this browser window.

And it seems to work well...