Message from Avast 5.0

Tasgandy

Since using Avast 5.0 I keep getting the following message:

Please disable SSL/TLS in your mail client so that the Mail Scanner can scan your mail. The Mail Scanner will provide the SSL/TLS security itself.

Now whilst I know how to turn this off, is it a good idea? safe? OR should I turn off the Mail Shield in Avast 5.0?

PS: I am using Thunderbird as mail client on my Test Win 7 32bit PC. <_<

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

OR should I turn off the Mail Shield in Avast 5.0?

I personally have. I'm sensible enough to deal with it on my own.

No fate but what we make

If you want to use the email shield then long as Avast is providing the secure layer you should be okay ... it just means that your incoming is unencrypted when it gets to Avast, rather than getting through to your client. And your outgoing is encrypted by Avast after it leaves your client, rather than by your client.

Personally if you have the option of an email shield I'd use it.

If you want to use the email shield then long as Avast is providing the secure layer you should be okay ... it just means that your incoming is unencrypted when it gets to Avast, rather than getting through to your client. And your outgoing is encrypted by Avast after it leaves your client, rather than by your client.

Thanks to both ident & marmite for the advice I shall try Avast to take care of the lot and see what happens.

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

Can i just ask why?

Because as a user you can't tell what emails are infected or not. You can probably spot most junk mail but not 100% (and neither can your spam filter). And even the 'good' mail from known senders ... someone you know might send an infected attachment to you by mistake. If you have software that's capable of spotting that then take advantage of it! It's just another thing that helps to protect your PC and your data. A bit like car insurance ... it's there but hopefully you don't need it :) Only difference is that you know when your car gets knocked. If you get a trojan you might not know until it's too late ... all it takes is one dodgy email to get through.