Defraggler shuffles the same large files back and forth

kalirion

First time I ran defraggler, and the next few times, everything was fine. Then I decided to play with moving large files a bit, and defragging free space, and since then whenever I run defraggler, it spends a LOT of time just moving the same exact large files. I've turned off the "move large files" option, just in case setting it to 500000MB files as well. I don't defrag free space anymore. And still, every time after it finishes defragging and I try to defrag again (after Steam has done a bit of downloading) I see the same exact files being moved around. Defraggler might claim that defragging is 100% done, 0 files with 0 fragments are left, and it's still shuffling those files. What's going on?

defragglerprogress.jpg

defragglerfragments.jpg

First time I ran defraggler, and the next few times, everything was fine. Then I decided to play with moving large files a bit, and defragging free space, and since then whenever I run defraggler, it spends a LOT of time just moving the same exact large files. I've turned off the "move large files" option, just in case setting it to 500000MB files as well. I don't defrag free space anymore. And still, every time after it finishes defragging and I try to defrag again (after Steam has done a bit of downloading) I see the same exact files being moved around. Defraggler might claim that defragging is 100% done, 0 files with 0 fragments are left, and it's still shuffling those files. What's going on?

defragglerprogress.jpg

defragglerfragments.jpg

Kalirion, I am not sure what's happening but I am equally sure someone will come up with the correct answer.

BUT........I gotta say...............if it ain't broke.................don't........

I just get up every morning, turn the PC's on and when it's time to Defrag..................Hey it just happens the Piriform way............without any fuss.

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

Thing is, it took me almost half a day to defrag the drive when it only had 90GB on it. I shudder to think what it will be like when close to full. For now the drive is devoted to Steam, which seems to enjoy placing files willy nilly in multiple fragments all over the place even when there are tons of free real-estate to choose, so I defrag every few hundred megs downloaded (I'm on a slow DSL connection) to keep things tidy. Not for performance, but to avoid hour to day-long defrags down the road. However if it takes hours every single time because Defraggler decides to reorganize large and already defragged files, that defeats the purpose.

For now I'm just going to the file list and defragging all checked, instead of doing whole drive defrags for this reason.