System Restore Points

I installed the latest version (2.28) and there are no system restore points showing in the list System Restore module of CCleaner. I checked via the windows interface, and there are several points in existence. I'm on XP Home edition SP3, if that makes a diference.

Try viewing it again and again. If its still doesnt appear in the System Resore module of CCleaner, then this definitely is a bug.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

Try viewing it again and again. If its still doesnt appear in the System Resore module of CCleaner, then this definitely is a bug.

It's there now, though it took about 10 or 12 hours to appear, and several system-restarts. In the meantime I've discovered a few Windows services disabled that shouldn't have been, so it's quite possibly related to that, and my problem - not Ccleaner's.

It's hardly the most important module of the program anyway, but if anyone else is having the same problem, please be aware that you can do the same thing manually by running Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Disc Cleanup. When it has finished loading (may take a while), go to the More Options tab and there's an option to remove all but the last restore point there.

Thanks for replying Ishi

It's there now, though it took about 10 or 12 hours to appear, and several system-restarts. In the meantime I've discovered a few Windows services disabled that shouldn't have been, so it's quite possibly related to that, and my problem - not Ccleaner's.

It's hardly the most important module of the program anyway, but if anyone else is having the same problem, please be aware that you can do the same thing manually by running Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Disc Cleanup. When it has finished loading (may take a while), go to the More Options tab and there's an option to remove all but the last restore point there.

Thanks for replying Ishi

Yep but Windows' module for clearing restore points don't have the option which of the restore points besides the latest one gets removed. CCleaner allows you to choose specifically which of the restore points before the latest one gets deleted.

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

On the other hand I believe Ccleaner only removes the pointer that designates a multi-mega-byte folder,

whilst Windows will purge all but the last of the multi-mega-byte folders.

If you had several restore points, why don't you try removing just one of them with CCleaner and check the drive if it gained a few more MBs of space after doing so???

If it gains a few more MBs of space, then that proves that CCleaner has really deleted the restore point rather that just disassociating the folder where it resides.

If you had several restore points, why don't you try removing just one of them with CCleaner and check the drive if it gained a few more MBs of space after doing so???

If it gains a few more MBs of space, then that proves that CCleaner has really deleted the restore point rather that just disassociating the folder where it resides.

I've deleted 'em since, but next time I have a few I'll try that, in a spirit of inquiry - it's always good to know these things.

I've deleted 'em since, but next time I have a few I'll try that, in a spirit of inquiry - it's always good to know these things.

Okay, I got curious and/or was bored and felt like wasting a few minutes. I've been playing around creating and deleting restore points...

Disc Cleanup removed a smidgin under 18.1 megabytes, and CCleaner a tad under 17.9 (both removing only one restore point), so there's not much in it at all.

S'pose I'll have to find something constructive to do now... :blink:

Disc Cleanup removed a smidgin under 18.1 megabytes, and CCleaner a tad under 17.9 (both removing only one restore point), so there's not much in it at all.

S'pose I'll have to find something constructive to do now... :blink:

Interesting. I have 22 restore points listed, with Sys Vol Info at 20.0 GB. Deleting just one should gain avg 0.9 GB?

EDIT: A math conflict. ;)

But that proves the CCleaner does delete the restore points you order it to remove.

Interesting. I have 22 restore points listed, with Sys Vol Info at 20.0 GB. Deleting just one should gain avg 0.9 GB?

EDIT: A math conflict. ;)

Well I think its impossible for any of us here to calculate how much space you will free if you delete just one restore point since every restore point is different in size from one another.

If you want to remove a few restore points, you can choose to delete them with CCleaner and find out how much space you will free. You can remove the oldest ones and the ones listed for less important system events.

I have severe math problems too :)

It is a bit more complicated.

sshot-119.gif

This shows several Restore point archives,

including RP1100 WHICH WAS CREATED 28/01/2010

sshot-120.gif

Top left corner shows the properties of RP1100

Top Right shows the contents of RP1100

Bottom left and Bottom Right show the selection of RP1100,

as seen by CCleaner and System Restore respectively

CCleaner then REMOVED RP1100, after which

sshot-122.gif

Top Left shows that 41.5 MB remains from the original 94.8 MB

Top Right shows that the 55,945,3586 byte snapshot folder has gone,

Bottom Left and Right show that there is no Restoration to 28/01/2010

NOTE snapshot is the folder which contains registry hive information.

All snapshots are independant, and not cumulative, and CCleaner deletes them.

All the A028????.etc files ARE CUMULATIVE;

they are the files which were deleted whist this RP1100 was actively protecting.

I am able to restore the system to 27/01/2010 == RP1099.

BUT RP1099 knew nothing about A0281810.mfl - this waas deleted when RP1100 was active.

The reason that I can restore to 27/01/2010 is that RP1100 still holds 45 MB of data files.

...\RP1100\Change.log.8 includes this item

\ D o c u m e n t s a n d S e t t i n g s \ D a d \ L o c a l S e t t i n g s \ A p p l i c a t i o n D a t a \

M o z i l l a \ F i r e f o x \ P r o f i l e s \ j z j 1 i n j u . d e f a u l t \ X P C . m f l " A 0 2 8 1 8 1 0 . m f l

Hence when restoring from "NOW" to 27/01/2010 == RP1099 (or any earlier time),

Windows will first move from the latest RP110? until it reaches RP1100,

and change.log.8 will tell it that ...\Firefox\...\XPC.mfl should be restored from A0281810.mfl,

hence when restoration is complete at RP1109, the XPC.mfl will be in place.

Had CCleaner removed the entire RP1100, then XPC.mfl would be lost forever,

and System Restore would either refuse to go to RP1109 or give you a BSOD,

but I leave that for some-one else to test and report back;

assuming their P.C. is not killed by the exercisie ! ! !

Conclusion

CCleaner removes "snapshot" registry hives, which are 55 Mbyte on my PC

CCleaner does NOT remove the files that were deleted.

Hence CCleaner only purges 56% of this Restore Point.

Your mileage may differ !

P.S. I can see the contents of the Restore system because I gave myself permission 2 years ago.

I think I used CACLS - but I will not risk telling you wrong

Alan

post-19700-1265042251_thumb.png

post-19700-1265042278_thumb.png

post-19700-1265042304_thumb.png

It is a bit more complicated.

sshot-119.gif

This shows several Restore point archives,

including RP1100 WHICH WAS CREATED 28/01/2010

sshot-120.gif

Top left corner shows the properties of RP1100

Top Right shows the contents of RP1100

Bottom left and Bottom Right show the selection of RP1100,

as seen by CCleaner and System Restore respectively

CCleaner then REMOVED RP1100, after which

sshot-122.gif

Top Left shows that 41.5 MB remains from the original 94.8 MB

Top Right shows that the 55,945,3586 byte snapshot folder has gone,

Bottom Left and Right show that there is no Restoration to 28/01/2010

NOTE snapshot is the folder which contains registry hive information.

All snapshots are independant, and not cumulative, and CCleaner deletes them.

All the A028????.etc files ARE CUMULATIVE;

they are the files which were deleted whist this RP1100 was actively protecting.

I am able to restore the system to 27/01/2010 == RP1099.

BUT RP1099 knew nothing about A0281810.mfl - this waas deleted when RP1100 was active.

The reason that I can restore to 27/01/2010 is that RP1100 still holds 45 MB of data files.

...\RP1100\Change.log.8 includes this item

Hence when restoring from "NOW" to 27/01/2010 == RP1099 (or any earlier time),

Windows will first move from the latest RP110? until it reaches RP1100,

and change.log.8 will tell it that ...\Firefox\...\XPC.mfl should be restored from A0281810.mfl,

hence when restoration is complete at RP1109, the XPC.mfl will be in place.

Had CCleaner removed the entire RP1100, then XPC.mfl would be lost forever,

and System Restore would either refuse to go to RP1109 or give you a BSOD,

but I leave that for some-one else to test and report back;

assuming their P.C. is not killed by the exercisie ! ! !

Conclusion

CCleaner removes "snapshot" registry hives, which are 55 Mbyte on my PC

CCleaner does NOT remove the files that were deleted.

Hence CCleaner only purges 56% of this Restore Point.

Your mileage may differ !

P.S. I can see the contents of the Restore system because I gave myself permission 2 years ago.

I think I used CACLS - but I will not risk telling you wrong

Alan

So basically it's cumulative, each newer point relying on data stored in older points rather than needlessly duplicating it, and I would have seen different results if I'd cleaned several points rather than one. That explains why my results were almost the same - one point means no accumulation to speak of, and also why Disc Cleaner can delete the whole lot - there's no reason for it to leave data pertinent to older restore points if it's deleting them too.