Third-party sys restore software

TeeJay3800

I would like to make a system restore point on my Windows 2000 computer, and am wondering if there is any third-party software capable of doing that. I read through this thread by Rorschach, but the software recommended there only works on XP. If anyone can recommend something, that'd be great!

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

Thanks, but I had found similar procedures from a Google search. That's different than a restore point, as that utility simply backs up files and therefore takes up a LOT of space. I'm looking for something small, fast, and simple like XP/Vista/7 system restore points, which can be created quickly and easily.

Dell Latitude D600

follow_me-c.png

• Moderators
I'm looking for something small, fast, and simple like XP/Vista/7 system restore points, which can be created quickly and easily.

The only freeware I know of for something that's "almost what you want" without creating a huge lengthy backup is ERUNT. Although ERUNT only makes a backup of the Windows registry, which is probably the most important type of backup.

• Moderators

Get yourself a portable HD and do backups of all your files on that.

I no longer maintain backups of windows, programs, ect. I just keep my files backed up once a week so that if something happens I don't loose any data. I think I would rather have a clean install of windows if my HD died in my computers anyway.

I could be wrong

But there is no system restore on any versions of Windows before XP...

There definitely isn't, at least not built-in. I was hoping there was some third-party software that would make it possible on 2000, but it looks like I'm outa luck.

Dell Latitude D600

follow_me-c.png

• Moderators
There definitely isn't, at least not built-in. I was hoping there was some third-party software that would make it possible on 2000, but it looks like I'm outa luck.

Not really out of luck. I didn't mention it earlier because it isn't freeware. The commercial software called WinRescue which I've used extensively in Win98 is "sort of" like a system restore for OSes that don't have system restore built in, yet it's still good to use even on systems that do have system restore. It can be configured to automatically make a daily backup. It will cost you money with it not being freeware, however it's a very good program. The WinRescue 2000 version is here.