External Hard Drive Recovery

seamusredux

Is there a way for Recuva to retrieve data from an external hard drive that has failed. The drive powers up and appears in Device Manager (as a generic WD external USB device) but not in Disk Management. Can't seem to figure out how (or even if) Recuva can manage this. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Is there a way for Recuva to retrieve data from an external hard drive that has failed. The drive powers up and appears in Device Manager (as a generic WD external USB device) but not in Disk Management. Can't seem to figure out how (or even if) Recuva can manage this. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

You want Handy Recovery for this.

It can read/recover from damaged/lost/RAW partitions. Recuva cannot. It doesn't scan for them. They simply are not there to Recuva!

You want Handy Recovery for this.

Mr Don do you have stakes in Handy Recovery? Seems like almost every post of yours that I've read today mentions it ;)

So while we're on the subject, are there any functional limitations in the trial version? Correct me if I'm wrong but I can't find a freeware version; and if that's the case I think it's fair that you should mention that. This product is just one of many paid-for programs that might do what the OP wants.

Mr Don do you have stakes in Handy Recovery? Seems like almost every post of yours that I've read today mentions it ;)

So while we're on the subject, are there any functional limitations in the trial version? Correct me if I'm wrong but I can't find a freeware version; and if that's the case I think it's fair that you should mention that. This product is just one of many paid-for programs that might do what the OP wants.

Indeed. I tried the trial version of this...and a few others. No result. Tried to access it through Linux Mint but the HD shows up as unpartitioned.

• Moderators

Have you tried right-clicking it in the devmgr, uninstalling, scanning for hardware changes, and then letting windows reinstall the drivers?

Hirens boot cd?

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

Big download, handy set of tools

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com