Question and a suggestion, I think.

Bronco90

:rolleyes: ok now i Forget them....... oh wait, ok, you have the color boxes, but no code to tell us what they mean.

but now to the main question. I have been useing both yours and for a long time Auslogics. I just noticed that both yours and auslogics do not defrag all the way.

It shows lots of left over files, as a matter of fact both programs shw and defrag the same exact numbers, but Auslogs does it in about 2 minuets and yours in about 10 minuets. Why?

I mean in some things slow is good, wink wink...LOL. buttttt

But I guess the defrag free space is what it is for. I havn't tried it yet, because The defrag took oh, I just ran them both just now and wow, its over 10 min now compared to 3 min. Am I doing something wrong, please let me know, I LOVE Piriform Tools, but wow too long. Must be me. Ok off to try Recuva.

BTW I don't mind paying for programs, but heck CCleaner has sold me on yours and when I get rehired after this lay off, I'll donate something cause I want you to do more stuff. Your programs are great...... TYVM E!

ps I starte your defraggler about 17 min ago and its still going and going. wayway too long. The only savor is that I think I can defrag my empty space.

yup it fina lly done. it says there is 46 fragmented files (49.0gb) 156 tota frags 51% fragmented. I guess it only does half the job.

Hi Bronco,

. . ok, you have the color boxes, but no code to tell us what they mean.

If you click Help then click Drive Map Legend, it will show you what all those colored blocks mean. (You can leave it open while defragging, too)

As far as your Auslogics defragmenter, it's the "lite" version ? which is the same as Windows Defragmenter: That's why it's quicker; it doesn't defrag in as much detail as DeFraggler does.

And, the size of your drive, space used and free space are important to consider, also.

Make sure you first completely clean your drive of all temp, cookies, cache, trash, etc., files first and try Defraggler in SafeMode. You may have to defrag more than once to speed up the time.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Bronco,

If you click Help then click Drive Map Legend, it will show you what all those colored blocks mean. (You can leave it open while defragging, too)

As far as your Auslogics defragmenter, it's the "lite" version ? which is the same as Windows Defragmenter: That's why it's quicker; it doesn't defrag in as much detail as DeFraggler does.

And, the size of your drive, space used and free space are important to consider, also.

Make sure you first completely clean your drive of all temp, cookies, cache, trash, etc., files first and try Defraggler in SafeMode. You may have to defrag more than once to speed up the time.

That is why I have suggested to display R and W (Read and Write) instead of colours....

:rolleyes: ok now i Forget them....... oh wait, ok, you have the color boxes, but no code to tell us what they mean.

but now to the main question. I have been useing both yours and for a long time Auslogics. I just noticed that both yours and auslogics do not defrag all the way.

It shows lots of left over files, as a matter of fact both programs shw and defrag the same exact numbers, but Auslogs does it in about 2 minuets and yours in about 10 minuets. Why?

I mean in some things slow is good, wink wink...LOL. buttttt

But I guess the defrag free space is what it is for. I havn't tried it yet, because The defrag took oh, I just ran them both just now and wow, its over 10 min now compared to 3 min. Am I doing something wrong, please let me know, I LOVE Piriform Tools, but wow too long. Must be me. Ok off to try Recuva.

BTW I don't mind paying for programs, but heck CCleaner has sold me on yours and when I get rehired after this lay off, I'll donate something cause I want you to do more stuff. Your programs are great...... TYVM E!

ps I starte your defraggler about 17 min ago and its still going and going. wayway too long. The only savor is that I think I can defrag my empty space.

yup it fina lly done. it says there is 46 fragmented files (49.0gb) 156 tota frags 51% fragmented. I guess it only does half the job.

Hi Bronco90,

Picablu here. The results following defrag that you show look just like mine used to. It drove me crazy! It was all System Volume Information files, and Defraggler can't defrag them. But you CAN solve this issue. :)

I found info in the forums that CCleaner's latest update could get rid of these SVI files. Here's how I achieved 0 files, 0 fragments, 0% fragmentation:

1. Went to www.piriform.com and downloaded latest version of CCleaner

2. In Start search box typed backup - clicked on Create a restore point - in the System Properties window clicked on Create box

and then gave the new restore point a name (the date and time fills in automatically)

3. Opened CCleaner and clicked on Tools in the left pane

4. In Tools I clicked on System Restore and one by one removed all restore points - leaving only the new one

5. Then I ran Analyse in CCleaner just to see what appeared - then hit Run Cleaner

6. Next I opened Defraggler - ran Analyse - went to View Files tab and checked all (at the top of the list) - then clicked Defrag

Checked (down on the bottom)

7. After that I clicked on the Drive C: tab (next to File List tab) and saw that all the fragmentation was gone!

Forgive me if I seem to be 'talking down' to you. I only gave such detailed steps because it's the kind of thing that's helpful to me personally. You are probably a much more advance user than I. Anyway the above steps got rid of the crazy-making frag problem. :P

I sure hope you re-visit your thread and find this so you can get your drive 'all pretty' again.

Regards, Picablu

Hi Bronco90,

Picablu here. The results following defrag that you show look just like mine used to. It drove me crazy! It was all System Volume Information files, and Defraggler can't defrag them. But you CAN solve this issue. :)

I found info in the forums that CCleaner's latest update could get rid of these SVI files. Here's how I achieved 0 files, 0 fragments, 0% fragmentation:

1. Went to www.piriform.com and downloaded latest version of CCleaner

2. In Start search box typed backup - clicked on Create a restore point - in the System Properties window clicked on Create box

and then gave the new restore point a name (the date and time fills in automatically)

3. Opened CCleaner and clicked on Tools in the left pane

4. In Tools I clicked on System Restore and one by one removed all restore points - leaving only the new one

5. Then I ran Analyse in CCleaner just to see what appeared - then hit Run Cleaner

6. Next I opened Defraggler - ran Analyse - went to View Files tab and checked all (at the top of the list) - then clicked Defrag

Checked (down on the bottom)

7. After that I clicked on the Drive C: tab (next to File List tab) and saw that all the fragmentation was gone!

Forgive me if I seem to be 'talking down' to you. I only gave such detailed steps because it's the kind of thing that's helpful to me personally. You are probably a much more advance user than I. Anyway the above steps got rid of the crazy-making frag problem. :P

I sure hope you re-visit your thread and find this so you can get your drive 'all pretty' again.

Regards, Picablu

Oh No Picablu, I thank You for your imput. Everyone has their own way of doing things. I love to read how others do the same things.

I like what you said and will try i. It does seem easy. I might like it better then my way. We all can learn from each other. 100 minds are better then one.

I thank you very much for responding. I thank EVERYONE for responding. I didn't care about the amount of left over files, I knew they were just MS files, but it was the time. It just took so long. But I love all of Piriform programs. I must use CCleaner like 30 times a day.