Background Defrag

Daniel H.

Hi, my request is background defrag.

Explanation: Defraggler would get permission from the user to run background defragmentations non-stop (unless ran out of files to defrag). The defraggler window would not be have open and there would be an optional tray icon. You could also have the ability to start this at start-up. This background defrag would take little resources and not be noticeable. You could configure how much resources degraggler can use. This would help keep your system defragmented, you may not even have to open degraggler and it's main interface.

Update: When this is enabled, the default action is this would defrag when your computer is not using the resources (e.g. using Opera and only have a few tabs open. No other applications.)

• 2 weeks later...

It might be a good idea. Smart Defrag has an Auto Defrag that works in the backgorund but Smart Defrag's utterly worthless in my opinion. The Windows defragger sorta works like this. You set a time for a scheduled defrag and if your computer's not on when the time comes it automatically starts the next time you boot up and works till its done; if you shut down before it finishes, it starts where it left off the next time you boot. At least this is how it's supposed to work; I've never tried it. Defraggler's scheduled defrag might work like too, I don't know.

I shy away from stuff that works in the background unless it absolutely crucial. When services like Indexing run in the background, some antivirus programs scan everything while its on then you have a whole other layer of background work going on. It might be a good option to have for those who want it; but you might look into how Defraggler's scheduled defrag works, it might already do basically what you want. :)