Apple Installer Cache

aldibibable

My suggestion from Windows XP: add a cleaning option for C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Apple Computer\Installer Cache and C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Apple\Installer Cache.

I just found about 800 Mb of unused iTunes/Safari/other Apple installers and the like going back to version 7. Apparently Apple Updater doesn't clean up after itself!

Robert

• Moderators

Hi Robert, and welcome to Piriform.

I emptied those folders a long time ago, and it's a one off operation which doesn't really make it worth integrating into CCleaner.

I check those folders again only if we've updated iTunes.

You may also be interested in this thread about more iTunes (and Quicktime) unnecessary bloat.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=23721

• Moderators

To note Windows 7 (and maybe vista) places this folder

C:\ProgramData\Apple\Installer Cache

and

C:\ProgramData\Apple Computer\installer Cache

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• 1 year later...

I emptied those folders a long time ago, and it's a one off operation which doesn't really make it worth integrating into CCleaner.

I check those folders again only if we've updated iTunes.

I disagree, I think it would be useful if CCleaner incorporated clearing out the Apple installer cache. New versions of iTunes have been released at least once a month lately. Each time stuff gets stuck in the installer cache. Any cleanup task that goes stale that often would make an excellent addition, in my opinion.

And thanks for the link to additional information about iTunes bloat. Here's another -- an article regarding slimming down the installation of iTunes by removing some of the big components you probably didn't need in the first place.

Cheers!