Anti Spyware Comparisons

mps69_1999

A question or two, if I may. TeaTimer runs heavy relative to other apps, top of the list in the picture, about 123,272 k. SpywareGuard does also, sgmain.exe plus sgbhp.exe, total of 12,712 k. That picture is generated by process explorer from sysinternals.

th_Procexp21.jpg

Process Monitor, also by sysinternals, shows that both apps are very busily monitoring the registry.

The reason for the question is mps69_1999's original post. It is asking sort of "What to keep and what to throw away" if I read it right. These applications don't slow this machine down enough to notice, but they seem to make a noticeable difference on slower computers, owned by relatives and friends.

The frequency of updates issue doesn't seem to matter much for TeaTimer and SpywareGuard (when ya got it right, don't fix it, eh?), although it might for Spybots on demand scanner, right?

In the past, both TeaTimer and SpywareGuard have caught baddies which got past everything else, and locked this system up until I decided what to allow or deny. Made the wrong call on more than one occasion. :P

So the questions are, do they duplicate each others' functions? And, if so, which to lose?

Also, a suggestion, use some sort of virtualization software, Sandboxie, plus Returnil or Powershadow, so that if all else fails and you have to restart, any damage is gone. (so far, fingers crossed)

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

MikeW

What I was referring to is the fact that SpywareGuard isn't dependent on you using Internet Explorer for it to be effective protection. One of its features is that it has an extra protection layer that works with IE, but it can stop malware no matter what browser you use

By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe.

~Scratch~

Rorschach112: I was always under the impression tea timer would be unneeded for FF users since active x is not allowed. I have never bothered with it since heard SO many bad reports.

can you please give some more info thanks

No fate but what we make

As far as I know that is not the case. It doesn't matter what browser you use, if you get targeted by malware, the aim of TeaTimer and SpywareGuard is to prevent changes made to the registry. This is not browser dependent.

By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe.

~Scratch~