CCleaner locks up while cleaning Recycle Bin

Doctor J

CCleaner locks up when it gets to my recycle bin. I updated the program and it still locked up on the RB. I uninstalled the program, downloaded a fresh copy and reinstalled it. It still locks up at the RB.

If I uncheck the RB...everything else works great.

I'm running VISTA Ultimate on a laptop with AMD Turion 64x2, 2GB RAM, 1.7 Ghz processor.

Thanks for any help you may render.

Dr J

• Moderators

Do you have a giant file in your RB?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I am having the same issue, however the file that is locking up CCleaner is a little different.

It is: C:\$recycle.bin\S-1-5-21-1001866470-3342618954-3930281631-1000\$RSRCHS9.rar

I have navigated my way to the file location and the folder it is listed in is "empty". Same w/ the actual recycle bin. CCleaner locks at 24%. My system specs: Dell Inspiron1750 running Vista SP1 x64 Pentium Dual-Core T4200 @ 2.0GHz BIOS version A01 07/06/09. Other possible conflicting software: Malwarebytes (Freeware), Avira (Freeware). Current memory stats: Installed Physical RAM: 3.00 GB, Total: 2.96 GB, Available: Physical: 1.42 GB, Total Virtual: 6.13 GB, Available Virtual: 4.17GB, Page File Space: 3.25 GB. As you can see, I've got plenty and normally buzz right along w/ this program, this has only started over the last few days. I have it set up to run on User Login to windows. I've also checked that I have the latest version of all of those apps as well as CCleaner. I have YET to uninstall it and re-download and re-install but I'm thinking I might still do it yet.

Now what?

Scott

Some time ago I experienced a similar problem trying to overwrite Recycle Bin contents using Eraser. I solved this by:

Folder options > View: tick 'Show hidden files and folders' and untick 'hide protected operating system files', opened up the $Recycle.Bin folder and deleted the recycle bin(s) inside it. Ignore the warnings because Windows will create a new recycle bin(s).