Uninstalling Recuva

cc1

First, thank you for Recuva.

In one of my "stupider" moments, I deleted the entire contents of my backup USB drive last night. It contained lots of portable apps, as well as a bunch of mp3, mpeg, avi, and jpeg files. I guess the good news is that I still have additional copies (scattered among several flash drives and cd's) of many but not all of those deleted files.

Being a fan of CCleaner and also being familiar with the Piriform forum, I installed Recuva. I'm not familiar with the product, and I'm nerdy enough to usually thoroughly read about an app before actually using it. But I was panicked last night and used Recuva right away via the wizard. It wasn't hard (thanks for the simplicity!).

The quick scan found nothing. So I did a deeper scan and went to bed. This morning it listed over 8000 files, the vast majority of them being recoverable. I created a folder on my desktop and saved those files to it.

I noticed that Recuva doesn't organize the files that it finds in the same format they were originally in when they were on my backup drive. That's okay. It's wonderful that the files were retrievable in the first place. So the task ahead of me is to go through my flash drives, cd's, and the recovered files and try to rebuild my backup drive once again to the way it was. Lesson: Buy a secondary USB backup drive and periodically backup your primary backup drive to it.

I didn't realize until this morning there is a portable version of Recuva and I plan on adding it to my portable app tool flash drive. So I now want to uninstall Recuva from my system. Questions: Does simply using Windows Add or Remove Programs cleanly uninstall Recuva? Do I also need to manually delete anything from, say, Program Files?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

• Moderators

Recuva uninstalls cleanly Chris.

I managed to recover some music files recently by changing Recuva's settings to reflect the original file/folder structure, and recovering a small amount at a time:

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=23991

It might not make a difference in your case, but maybe worth a try.

Recuva uninstalls cleanly Chris.

I managed to recover some music files recently by changing Recuva's settings to reflect the original file/folder structure, and recovering a small amount at a time:

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=23991

It might not make a difference in your case, but maybe worth a try.

It's always good to hear from you Dennis, and thanks for your post. I just read the linked thread and I'll try that approach too. :)