Recycle Bin is corrupt

pwillener

Windows XP-SP3

CCleaner 2.25.1025

When running the new CCleaner for the first time, it popped a message that says the Recycle Bin on one partition is corrupt

This is a partition that contains only one single file: the page file. The file system is NTFS 3.1, and the cluser size is 64KB.

When running CHKDSK /F during reboot on this partition, it finds and fixes some errors, but when I run CCleaner again, the same error pops up.

I have no guarantee that this is caused by the new version of CCleaner, as I had some different problems on my C: drive today.

In order to help determine if this is indeed caused by the new CCleaner version, I would like to install the previous version, which gave me no problems.

• Question(s):
  • can I "downgrade" CCleaner 2.25 to 2.24, without uninstalling?
  • if I uninstall CCleaner 2.25, will my settings be preserved?

CCleaner has been designed to run side-by-side. You can have as many versions in the installation folder as you want.

Before installing a new version, I rename my current CCleaner.exe to CCleaner_v2_xxx.exe (xxx is the version) then I run the new installer which will create CCleaner.exe

It is perfectly ok to run 2, 3 or as many versions of CC at the same time. You can even compare results from previous versions to new ones.

Uninstalling CCleaner will remove your settings (it deletes ccleaner.ini and/or registry key).

I hope this helps.