CCleaner

Brandi51276

Hi Everyone,

I am new today and trying to figure out how to work this program so please bare with me.

When I opened CCleaner to run it, it showed two buttons one says Analyze and the other is Run Cleaner.

I clicked Analyze first. My problem is in the box it shows my AVG anti-virus 8, Windows Defender, Ad-Ware SE Personal, system windows log files, and my Adobe Flash Player. I don't think those are suppost to be removed so does that mean those programs are infected? It does show temp files and cookies as well and I know those are suppost to be cleaned out. Any help would be great thanks!

• Moderators

Firstly CC does not remove anything that is, or might be, 'infected' except by chance, it removes files from folders that are known to hold temporary or log or other not-really-necessary files. This is based on the perhaps flawed principle that most users do not place or store files thay wish to keep in such folders.

You should find, if you run Analyse again, that the files you are looking at either come from temp or log folders, or have a .lnk extension (shortcuts) etc. There should be no data folder, such as My Documents, in the list. (That should have been secondly.)

Thirdly I recommend using the default settings for Cleaning until you are more confident using CC. And don't use the registry clean until you are really confident.

... My problem is in the box it shows my AVG anti-virus 8, Windows Defender, Ad-Ware SE Personal, system windows log files, and my Adobe Flash Player. I don't think those are suppost to be removed so does that mean those programs are infected? ...

You are probably looking at the summary list which shows the categories that will be cleaned. Double-click each category to see the files which will be cleaned (usually temporary files, MRU lists, etc. related to the application).

You did the right thing ... ask if you are in any doubt.

System - Windows Log Files can safely be deleted unless you have problems you are currently trying to diagnose.

I don't use AVG anti-virus 8, Windows Defender, or Ad-Ware SE Personal so cannot help. If you post the detail list of files, someone who is familiar should be able to advise you.

• Moderators

Also with new version of ccleaner you have to right click on the analyze list items and choose 'view detailed results'

to see if they are just log files etc from your av/malware programs that Augeaus mentioned.

As he said, leave everything as default til you know what you are doing and have a read here

http://docs.piriform.com/ccleaner

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com