Registry

FuryofLight

• Moderators

For the most part yes, and do make the registry backup CCleaner offers to do via a prompt. Although in the past some image format extensions being removed did cause things like IrfanView to have to be reconfigured to open certain file types.

Andavari

Please clarify.

I often encounter "unused file extension".

I always consider, contemplate, and try to remember what I did and why.

Mostly I recognise the extension as belonging to a data file used by a Portable Application, which therefore refrains from disturbing File Associations etc.,

hence double clicking that data file is not a mechanism for launching the application to use it,

but although Portable Applications do not directly alter the registry, Windows is a nosey parker that sees everything that happens,

and if a file is opened then Windows makes a note of the extension and records it as something omitted from File Associations.

Other times I might wonder about some peculiar file, and if I try to use Notepad to read it, that becomes another "unused file extension".

Even if I do NOT try to read it, but merely select it and use context menu "properties", I can get "unused file extension".

I never hesitate to purge any errors due to the above, without making a registry backup.

If I cannot recognise the cause, I may hesitate, but again I always purge without a registry backup.

If "unused file extension" are accompanied by anything else, I deselect the "unused file extension" option,

and rescan and make a registry backup and purge, after which I reselect "unused file extension" and scan and purge without backup.

If I ever have an "unused file extension" issue, I always remove it without a backup before I close CCleaner.

Please advise, is there any danger in always removing such issues without making a backup ?

Does "unused file extension" ever indicate that something went wrong ?

My belief is that selecting a file for any purpose makes Windows think "why did he do that, what shall I do if he double clicks" ?

And if it has no file association Windows creates this waste wasting registry issue.

So far as "installer reference" issues are concerned I always worry a bit.

I stop worrying when I recognise it corresponds to something I have just removed.

I absolutely detest "anonymous" unidentifiable things such as {7B738CD9-D107-48C7-8E65-2E6639A39C8D},

when that installer goes, all the related files are gone, so no clue remains about what has removed.

If I determine probable cause I will remove the issue, making a registry backup just in case it might give useful data should a consequent issue be found.

BUT I suspect any consequent issue will NOT be resolved by fixing the register - I assume the "missing installer" will need to be retrieved,

probably by restoring the entire System C:\ drive from an Acronis disc image of yesterday's fully functional system drive.

If I should ever be unable to find just cause I would be VERY worried that 99% of the damage was done by malware/accidental loss of files,

and not be concerned about a residual 1% of accidental damage when I remove the issue and forget about it.

Should this happen, I will not bother with registry issues or anything else - I will immediately restore via Acronis.

Above are my current views. But I am willing to learn more.

Regards

Alan

• Moderators
Please advise, is there any danger in always removing such issues without making a backup ?

Not always. And any program that can configure the file types it can be registered to open such as an image viewer, or media player is easy enough to fix a file association issue caused by the registry cleaner, which by the way should be a very rare thing to ever happen.

Those applications that don't offer such an in-built tool to associate files like CDBurnerXP for instance would need to be reinstalled to select the file associate options during setup for properly configuring the associations even though it can be manually done in Windows but not exactly like the installer would accomplish it.

Not always. And any program that can configure the file types it can be registered to open such as an image viewer, or media player is easy enough to fix a file association issue caused by the registry cleaner, which by the way should be a very rare thing to ever happen.

Those applications that don't offer such an in-built tool to associate files like CDBurnerXP for instance would need to be reinstalled to select the file associate options during setup for properly configuring the associations even though it can be manually done in Windows but not exactly like the installer would accomplish it.

Thank you

Alan