What's really wrong with Recuva v1.28.424?

Kumpel

Hello,

Primarily, I resorted to this software, Recuva.com v1.28.424, because I thought it might help recovering some MS Windows program files that are causing extremely slow performance and frequent freezing on my laptop. I started first with CCleaner 2.21.940 that works well so far. However, after many trials and errors the problem with Recuva seems to be very serious.

The system on my Acer Aspire 5600 Laptop is: MS Windows XP Home SP3. Genuine Intel CPU T2050 @ 1.6GHz, 502MB RAM, Mobile Intel 945GM Express Chipset Family.

In total, I spent so far more than 7 hours using Recuva with no success after repeating the scanning over and over again. The latest scanning trial for all drives gave me the following info: FAT32, 44.3 GB. Cluster size: 32768. Found 40851 files (16719 ignored) in 628.59 sec.

While Recuva scanned a lot of deleted files and displayed three colors for various categories, it does not allow selecting the files by category in one single click. Instead, clicking on ?File? will select all files indiscriminately. Given the huge number of files, selecting green ones was an exhausting job.

After clicking on ?Recover? the pop-up window asks: Select location for recovery. I clicked on ACERDATA (D) Drive. Another pop-up Warning message says: Do you want to restore to the same drive? (This can reduce the chance of a successful recovery.). So I clicked ?No?. It disappeared but nothing happened yet. So I clicked on D drive once again just to receive the same Warning message. This time I clicked ?Yes?. Here, I received the nasty ?Error Message: Recuva has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.? There are three options on the dialog window: Debug, Send Error Report, and Don?t Send. Previously I clicked on one of the latter two. This time I clicked on ?Debug?. The Error Message appeared again, and before I clicked anywhere, the whole window disappeared. It is a very frustrating process and does not go anywhere.

The question now is: Has the Recuva program worked for anyone? If yes, why is it not working now, and how to get around this problem? Principally, I am only interested in the MS System files that I might have accidently deleted while trying to clean up my laptop drives. I am looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Thank you very much in advance for your time.

Kumpel

• Moderators

Recuva does work of course, preumably for many thousands or more people.

If you click on the State column header the file list will be sorted in state order (but don't take the state as absolute, try a recovery anyway).

If you select No to Do you want to restore to the same drive, this should return you to the recovery location box, so you can select somewhere else, if you have anywhere else to recover to.

Unfortunately I don't know why Recuva is failing, I can't remember ever getting this message. I used to have problems when trying to display a lot of thumbnails, but was fixed some time ago. If your laptop has extremely slow performance and frequent freezing then Recuva might be a secondary victim of this. 'Recovering some MS Windows program files' sounds scary, it would be better to reinstall or repair than using Recuva to do this.

Primarily, I resorted to this software, Recuva.com v1.28.424, because I thought it might help recovering some MS Windows program files that are causing extremely slow performance and frequent freezing on my laptop.

I hate to say this... but I don't know what you mean.

If the files are causing slow performance... then they must not have been deleted. So how can a file recovery program be of help? Or are you saying the lack of files that you deleted might be causing the slow performance?

I hate to say this... but I don't know what you mean.

If the files are causing slow performance... then they must not have been deleted. So how can a file recovery program be of help? Or are you saying the lack of files that you deleted might be causing the slow performance?

Thank you very much for your responses. In fact, I meant that the suspected missing system files might be responsible for the slow down and frequent freezing of the computer with and without Internet connection. It is even slower than the old Celeron on dial-up connection. Just imagine! I am still struggling with this problem, and the technician I used to visit before is now on vacation. Any new practical ideas are welcome. Have a nice weekend.

Kumpel

The file selection process can be done in the same way you select multiple files in Windows... Hold shift and highlight files listed in sequence, or hold CTRL to pick out individual files. I was helping my sister out yesterday after her IT husband accidently deleted all their files. She wanted her photos back so finding out that the red green indicator and preview functions are NOT very useful (see other post) I suggested just sorting by size and saving everything above a certain file size and sorting out any corrupted ones in Windows Explorer. Needless to say the shift method was a lot more efficient than hunt and peck. Does Recuva even find system files? How about other recovery software?

How did the system files get deleted? Do you know what they are? Can you import them from someone else's XP machine? It might have to be done while the power?s off? maybe even trying to hook your drive to that other PC.

Back in my ME days a tech said I could selectively replace some system files off the recovery partition. But that was 10 years ago and I forget the details. But it might be worth checking into if you have a recovery partition.