Does CCleaner break my Windows Update?

sancarlosscott

Hello. I use CCleaner in XP Pro. Whenever I try to download Windows Updates, they fail to install, at least the major ones. Here's the weird part. If I reinstall Internet Explorer 8, they work perfectly. But after running CCleaner, which is often, they fail again. This seems to happen independently of antivirus and antispyware apps. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Hello. The error on each of the latest security updates is listed as Error Code: 0x80070002. As I mentioned, these updates did load after reinstalling IE8. I am not sure if CCleaner has anything to do with the problem, but it's the only thing I could think of. Since my first message, I have unchecked the History box in the Internet Explorer section to see if that makes a difference. There have been no updates to test since then ,but I will report what happens. FYI, I am using CC v. 2.18.878.

Hello Alan,

IE8 was in final release when I first installed it. And each reinstall downloads lastest updates. Since MS only provides major XP updates once a month, this issue is not that huge. I just wondered if anything comes to mind regarding what's happening. Thanks.

CCleaner 2.18 was just released a few days after IE8, with IE8 support included. However, there were a few bugfixes for IE8 in later releases of CCleaner.

I suggest that you install the latest version of CCleaner and see if the problem persists.

See also if this article helps with the 0x80070002 error: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910336/

Looks like the problem was of my own making. I'm almost anal about cleaning the crap out of XP. In my eagerness, I had CCleaner clean System32\Catroot and System32\Catroot2 folders. Once I stopped that, Windows Update seems to be working again. More...if anything changes.