Delete Empty Folders

Andy B

I have recently restored my computer back to factory settings and I've been uninstalling all the crap that came with it..Nabster..etc and I've been left with a lot of empty folders that are just a pain in the backside to delete.

Just to clear out the file and folder structure maybe a feature in CCleaner could be developed to remove these empty directories (bearing in mind trying not to delete hidden files contained within the folder).

It may be best if you were able to select in a sub menu where you would like to clean it..ie user files..start menu...program files...system files (getting a bit risky there).

• Moderators

It's been suggested before, and usually given the thumbs down as there are empty folders that might be needed for an application to run, CC would have to scan the whole disk to look for them (and could be several hundred gb), and the risk of my system doesn't work any more posts is too great.

It's been suggested before, and usually given the thumbs down as there are empty folders that might be needed for an application to run, CC would have to scan the whole disk to look for them (and could be several hundred gb), and the risk of my system doesn't work any more posts is too great.

Well as descussed above, leave out the system folders and maybe keep it simple...ie start menu folders. Also as this is only doing the start menu (if its not expanded to do the whole computer), then it wont have to search GB/TBs of data.

I know for a fact that my start menu is filled with empty folders as lots of installers tend to just not delete the folders they have made. If applications need a folder for writing, they generally just make another folder and get on with it.

Heres your chance to try and get this idea that you previously wanted taken action..shows at least two people wanted it.

• Moderators

I forgot to say that CC would have to know that no new application or system change ever made in the future would ever require an empty folder: that knowledge is unknowable. For instance what new empty folders will be created by any facet of Windows, or FF, or (for instance) whatever new mail system is written, in the future? Nobody knows, but CC would blindly remove them with unknown consequences. 'They generally just make another folder and get on with it' is not sound enough.

Augeas, makes complete sense :)

But just scanning the Start Menu seems to be fine, and maybe a light scan of the "Program Files", i.e not the subfolders just the main folders in Program Files.

How is that?

Simplicity is hard.

• Moderators

Well, I was just putting forward the general concerns about the idea. I doubt if it's an option I would ever want or use. I don't mind a few empty folders and the number of entries on my Start Menu is set to zero.