CCleaner Bug (VERY odd problem)

I can't even imagine how this could be a CCleaner bug, but it happened immediately after I ran it.

(OK, I updated right after I ran it... what I have now is 2.20.920 so I ran the version just before.)

I can access some websites but not all. The same ones whether I use FireFox, Safari, IE (all latest versions). I checked to see if it had to do with the URLS eg if http://, https://, www. or some combination thereof made a difference, but no.

This would seem to be a DNS problem, but how? I'm now using my laptop (PowerBookG4) and it works fine.

The problem machine is a Dell running XP Professional SP3, Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00Ghz, 3.0GB.

I waited about 10 mins & tried again.. still same thing... some sites yes & some no & the same ones across all browsers.

some pages not others...why??? it's making me crazy ... thanks for any ideas..

-geo

I can't see why CC would cause this behaviour, what response are you getting? Page hang, 404, or some other error?

thanks for you interest... I've posted on craigslist also and no one seems to know what's up

here's more info:

I can look at BBC.co.uk fine, but not CNN. I can look at SFSU & CCSF sites, but not Craigslist. Google no, but Google news yes...

note also that some sites display with broken formatting...

I've tried resetting IE and restarting....

What in god's name would cause this? I'm not totally computer-dense, but this is bugging me, so to speak....

did CCleaner somehow affect all 3 browsers or is this something in the registry? What would selectively affect SOME but not other sites. I guess I can try downloading a new browser...if I can figure out how... I can't access microsoft, either, to do windows updates...however, I just updated last week...and I use Secunia to keep everything as current as possible.

let me add: for the pages that won't load at all:

safari returns "server unexpectedly dropped the connection...wait..try again"

Firefox shows blank page

IE returns "...cannot display the webpage..." diagnostics button returns "did not detect any problems"

thanks again for any thoughts on this... It's beyond me...

• Moderators

No miracles, but if you type in "cannot display the webpage" (with quotes) or "server unexpectedly dropped the connection" safari (just like that) in Google you will find you are not alone. One poster said that 'i followed some of the MS Help & Support advice & 're-Registered Internet Explorer DLLs', which seems to have worked for me' on IE, so you could start there. I don't know what the re-registering process is though, maybe Google will come to the rescue there too.

Did you do a registry clean, and did you 'Fix all Issues'? If so I would hold off doing it again.

PS Oh bum, no Google. I think you need a friend with another pc to do the lookups.

No miracles, but if you type in "cannot display the webpage" (with quotes) or "server unexpectedly dropped the connection" safari (just like that) in Google you will find you are not alone. One poster said that 'i followed some of the MS Help & Support advice & 're-Registered Internet Explorer DLLs', which seems to have worked for me' on IE, so you could start there. I don't know what the re-registering process is though, maybe Google will come to the rescue there too.

Did you do a registry clean, and did you 'Fix all Issues'? If so I would hold off doing it again.

PS Oh bum, no Google. I think you need a friend with another pc to do the lookups.

Well, I do have a PowerBook sitting here next to my PC, which is working fine, so I tried the Google search you suggested... lo and behold...lots of similar situations, as you predicted. Thus, I see I have some reading to do...

but it's a relief to have a direction to go.... thank you for your suggestion... I had not thought of using google in this way...

Still, has this not happened to anyone else as a result of CCleaner? I suppose I could search this very forum in a similar way... right?

anyway, thanks again!

-geo

• Moderators
I suppose I could search this very forum in a similar way... right?

You can via Google, just do an advanced search and only search piriform.com so it looks something like this (click to enlarge):

4e25dc37957762.gif