IE8 cookies problem - vet1964 has the answer

eva

Thanks for the new version V2.19.900.

Unfortunately the cookies problem is not solved with it still.

I understand IE8 has changed how cookies are stored. DOM storage. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197062(VS.85).aspx

While I do not fully understand the implications in relation to how Ccleaner works, now I understand what has to be done.

IE8 has introduced a new Internet Options configuration ( Preserve Favorites website data) which did not exist in IE7.

To make Ccleaner work with the "cookies to keep", IE8 users must change the Internet Options setup.

Vet1964 has hit the nail on he head;

"Make sure the cookies you want to keep are all on the Exclude list of Ccleaner

Go to:

>Tools

>Internet Options

>Under General tabs go to

>Browsing History

>Click Delete and when new pane opens>

>Uncheck Preserve Favorites website data (first one)

Uncheck all of them if you like, it will work either way (I untick cookies, internet temporary files etc.., history Ccleaner does that)"

This new Internet Option ( Preserve Favorites website data) has to be disabled otherwise after reboot the cookies set to keep will not keep.

Thanks vet1964

Mystery solved

Eva

Thanks for the new version V2.19.900.

Unfortunately the cookies problem is not solved with it still.

I understand IE8 has changed how cookies are stored. DOM storage. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197062(VS.85).aspx

While I do not fully understand the implications in relation to how Ccleaner works, now I understand what has to be done.

IE8 has introduced a new Internet Options configuration ( Preserve Favorites website data) which did not exist in IE7.

To make Ccleaner work with the "cookies to keep", IE8 users must change the Internet Options setup.

Vet1964 has hit the nail on he head;

"Make sure the cookies you want to keep are all on the Exclude list of Ccleaner

Go to:

>Tools

>Internet Options

>Under General tabs go to

>Browsing History

>Click Delete and when new pane opens>

>Uncheck Preserve Favorites website data (first one)

Uncheck all of them if you like, it will work either way (I untick cookies, internet temporary files etc.., history Ccleaner does that)"

This new Internet Option ( Preserve Favorites website data) has to be disabled otherwise after reboot the cookies set to keep will not keep.

Thanks vet1964

Mystery solved

Eva

Hi Eva, happy to be of some help, so help me God, got lucky when I was troubleshooting the IE8 Cookie problem, the honest truth. Regards, vet1964

• Moderators

I'm not an IE8 user, but if that's the fix for the cookie problem I'm sure there'll be a lot of users out there who appreciate you two taking the trouble to post your findings.

:)

Hi everyone,

I think the new CCleaner version (V2.19.900) does have the fix for the IE8 cookie problem.

For the record I am running a Compaq Presario AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3300+, 2411MHz/1.93 GBs RAM, running Windows Xp Home, SP3., with Internet Explorer 8.

Since this new version came out my vanishing cookie problem has stopped.

Under 'Internet Explorer' in CCleaner I have EVERYTHING CHECKED except 'Auto Complete Form History.

In Windows under Tools > Internet Options > Browsing History > Delete > I have the following items CHECKED: Preserve Favorites Website Data, Temporary Internet Files, Cookies and History.

I have rebooted several times since the new version was released and each time my saved passwords and cookies have been untouched.

I pass this information on just so others know the fix is working for some of us.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

" ... Nuff Said. Keep Smiling Because I'm Smiling Too! ..."

Hi everyone,

I think the new CCleaner version (V2.19.900) does have the fix for the IE8 cookie problem.

For the record I am running a Compaq Presario AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3300+, 2411MHz/1.93 GBs RAM, running Windows Xp Home, SP3., with Internet Explorer 8.

Since this new version came out my vanishing cookie problem has stopped.

Under 'Internet Explorer' in CCleaner I have EVERYTHING CHECKED except 'Auto Complete Form History.

In Windows under Tools > Internet Options > Browsing History > Delete > I have the following items CHECKED: Preserve Favorites Website Data, Temporary Internet Files, Cookies and History.

I have rebooted several times since the new version was released and each time my saved passwords and cookies have been untouched.

I pass this information on just so others know the fix is working for some of us.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

Hi 2harts4ever,

I am pleased to hear that we all have find our solution.

I have two PCs. One is identical to yours except 32 and not 64.

This one is not upgraded to IE8. It has IE7. It never had a problem keeping the cookies set for keeping.

The other is an HP Pavilion, Pentium 4, 32, Windows XP Home SP3. This one was not having any problems with cookies either until I ventured to IE8 Beta then the full IE8.

Perhaps, having a problem with cookies relates to the brand of PC and not the Operating System???

I could only confirm this if I switched my Compaq to IE8 and tested it.

But, in trying to work around the cookies problem I have downloaded Firefox and the cookies stay put after cleaning with Ccleaner on that browser. (so here goes my theory on brand of PCs versus Operating Systems).

For now, I am happy that the solution recommended by vet1964 is working on my system.

I enjoy the exchange of ideas. We learn as we go on.

Thanks for your findings.

Eva

eva,

I enjoy the exchange of ideas. We learn as we go on.

Well said. Have a great weekend!

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

eva,

Well said. Have a great weekend!

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

Hi 2harts4ever,

Your earlier comments intrigued me and I did some more testing with cookies this morning.

For whatever reason, now the cookies remain put weather I have the "Preserve Favorites Website Data" ticked or unticked. I had the latest v2.19.900 in my prior testing as well, but the results were not the same. Something went right somewhere.

You are correct, Ccleaner is now working as it should.

Thanks,

Eva

Hi 2harts4ever,

Your earlier comments intrigued me and I did some more testing with cookies this morning.

For whatever reason, now the cookies remain put weather I have the "Preserve Favorites Website Data" ticked or unticked. I had the latest v2.19.900 in my prior testing as well, but the results were not the same. Something went right somewhere.

Hi eva,

Aren't computers wonderful? ....lol

Seriously, I am glad you discovered CCleaner fixed the IE8 cookie problem.

Regards,

2harts4ever

Hi guys, I did some testing myself like Eva did and the new version of CCleaner does the job on his own with the "cookies to keep", why it wasn't doing it before on my machine, is a well kept secret by the Big Guy in the sky, or maybe Bill Gates?.

Thank you Piriform, you guys done a heck of a job again. Regards, vet1964 ;)