Vista

craigathus

Well I've had my new machine for the best part of a week.

So far the only annoying thing is the Dell keyboard, I keep hitting the Caps Lock key instead of the Shift key :lol:

Thanks to Capman & Augeas for helping me remove "McAfee Security Center" ;)

I'm starting to enjoy using "Vista" after stumbling around for the first few days :lol:

My machine has an (Intel Core 2 Quad processor & 4GB of RAM) and Vista Home Premium 32-bit runs nice and quick.

Craig

You'll find it is not too dissimilar to XP once you get used to it Craig.

Oh and go into msconfig, there is a tab (might be called boot, I can't remember (I have just turned my Vista laptop off and don't want to turn it on again)), but anyway you will find an option to allow more cores to be used when the computer starts up, rather than the default 1 core.

It will speed up the starting of the computer for sure.

I have faith in you to find it without more specific instructions from me, lol.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/pdf_archi...ar_windows_tips

Click the PDF link. Page 16 of it.

turning on multiple cores in vista improves boot time

You?ll find an option within Vista?s msconfig utility that cryptically lets you set the ?Number of processors? used during boot. By default it is turned off (with the dropdown set to 1). We tried upping the setting

to 2 on a dual-core system and, guess what, no change in boot time whatsoever. Turns out this is just a debug setting for coders who want to test how programs load on single-core machines without having to

physically go to a less-sophisticated PC. It can be completely ignored. By default Windows uses all your cores. DON?T DO IT

I did this before. Didn't notice a difference.

AJ

You'll find it is not too dissimilar to XP once you get used to it Craig.

Oh and go into msconfig, there is a tab (might be called boot, I can't remember (I have just turned my Vista laptop off and don't want to turn it on again)), but anyway you will find an option to allow more cores to be used when the computer starts up, rather than the default 1 core.

It will speed up the starting of the computer for sure.

I have faith in you to find it without more specific instructions from me, lol.

Hey Capman ;)

I really don't mind the short amount of time that this "Vista" machine takes to start.

I still have my old faithful "XP" machine... well my wife doe's :lol: , and both machines are similar with regards to start-up time.

One thing that I have noticed is that "avast" doesn't have as much impact performance wise compared to "McAfee" on my new PC ;)

I have to admit that I was a bit worried about leaving "XP" for "Vista", however I really am starting to like Vista!

Craig

I've had Vista Ultimate installed on my school laptop. At first I was really skeptical. However, I've grown to like it. My own problem is that my laptop has 3 GB's of RAM, and it idles at about 40% usage with nothing open.

AJ