not cleaning

blindy8

I just updated C Cleaner to version 2.17.853. I'm running C Cleaner on a Win98SE platform. Up until updating, the cleaner ran fine, but since updating, when I run the Cleaner, I get 0 bytes removed from Windows and Applications. I haven't used this computer for a month so nothing was cleaned from it in that time and I would assume a lot of extraneous files would be available for cleaning.

I clicked in the Advanced tab under Cleaner and added custom files and folders, which was suggested in help, to no avail.

It appears that the cleaner is not addressing the files on my computer. I'm not sure if, as with many programs, WIN98SE has been scuttled and CCleaner no longer works for WIN98SE as per the most recent update

Welcome to Piriform Bindy.

I just updated C Cleaner to version 2.17.853. I'm running C Cleaner on a Win98SE platform. Up until updating, the cleaner ran fine, but since updating, when I run the Cleaner, I get 0 bytes removed from Windows and Applications. I haven't used this computer for a month so nothing was cleaned from it in that time and I would assume a lot of extraneous files would be available for cleaning.

I clicked in the Advanced tab under Cleaner and added custom files and folders, which was suggested in help, to no avail.

It appears that the cleaner is not addressing the files on my computer. I'm not sure if, as with many programs, WIN98SE has been scuttled and CCleaner no longer works for WIN98SE as per the most recent update

Well I've been using CC for two and half years all versions on Win98SE and everyone works as it should do.

I think we need a little more detail. Web Browser and version used. Anti-virus and version used. Adobe Flash Player version used. Are you cleaning Temporary Internet Files, Cookies? Are you saving any Cookies? If you not then look in Windows\Cookies and it should be empty.

In Options\Advanced is Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older that 48 hours, ticked?

For a simple check just copy and paste an folder in Program Files into the C:\Windows\Temp folder something with a large quantity of files. Make sure you only copy don't move. Before you do that is the Windows\Temp folder empty? Run CC, check in Windows\Temp that all files and folder have been deleted and see if it shows a files quantity this time. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Bonjour,

Sorry ! I don't know english very well.

I have the same problem as Blindy8:

Since v.2.15, CCleaner is no longer able to analyse the PC: time = 0,002 s, 0 byte deleted (because 0 byte found !)

Changelog v2.15 : Fixed two minor compatibility bugs with Win98

Il is obvious that a new bug was introduced with this version

Welcome to Piriform Jean.

I have the same problem as Blindy8:

Since v.2.15, CCleaner is no longer able to analyse the PC: time = 0,002 s, 0 byte deleted (because 0 byte found !)

Changelog v2.15 : Fixed two minor compatibility bugs with Win98

Il is obvious that a new bug was introduced with this version

Well the Analyze I don't really use I don't see the point (I have used it 6 months ago to see what it does). You can't select certain items/folder to delete it just cleans the items that have been set. I've just tried an Analyze and it starts of ok then after a couple of minutes it locks the computer, reset to restart. Tried it again and the exact same fault. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Well the Analyze I don't really use I don't see the point (I have used it 6 months ago to see what it does). You can't select certain items/folder to delete it just cleans the items that have been set. I've just tried an Analyze and it starts of ok then after a couple of minutes it locks the computer, reset to restart. Tried it again and the exact same fault. ;)

Sorry, Keithuk, I don't really understand what you mean. Your punctuation bothers me. Can somebody translate in french or german ?

Please see the results on Win98se with v2.15+ first, then with v2.14 on the same computer. On WinXP, it is OK.

CCleaner v2.15, 2.16, 2.17 - click on "Cleaner" on the left side, then on "Analyse"

ANALYSIS COMPLETE - (0.005 secs)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 bytes to be removed. (Approximate size)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now back to v2.14 (3 min. later)

ANALYSIS COMPLETE - (1.876 secs)

78,7MB to be removed. (Approximate size)

Details of files to be deleted (Note: No files have been deleted yet)

Marked for deletion: C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\index.dat

Marked for deletion: C:\WINDOWS\Historique\History.IE5\index.dat

Marked for deletion: C:\WINDOWS\Historique\History.IE5\desktop.ini

Marked for deletion: C:\WINDOWS\Historique\History.IE5\MSHist012009012220090123\index.dat

Marked for deletion: C:\WINDOWS\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat

Emptied Recycle Bin (89 files) 43,9MB

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\msievent.log 223 bytes

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\cnvA263.TMP 3,58KB

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\~e5.0001 71,56KB

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\~e5d141.tmp 45,00KB

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\cnvB3A0.TMP 3,58KB

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\cnvF0C2.TMP 3,58KB

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\cnvD396.TMP 3,58KB

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\pxinstall419.exe 3,96MB

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\cnv31E5.TMP 3,58KB

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\cnv3341.TMP 3,58KB

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\cnv7234.TMP 3,58KB

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\cnv31B3.TMP 3,58KB

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\cnv8255.TMP 3,58KB

C:\WINDOWS\WININIT.BAK 48 bytes

C:\WINDOWS\NDISLOG.TXT 0 bytes

C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\yr64w1cb.default\downloads.rdf 4,20KB

Firefox/Mozilla Temporary Internet Cache (80 files) 30,7MB

C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\yr64w1cb.default\history.dat 1,49KB

C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\HSPN36VZ\chatango.com\fixed_id.sol 54 bytes

C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\HSPN36VZ\chatango.com\mini_login.sol 48 bytes

C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\macromedia.com\support\flashplayer\sys\#chatango.com\settings.sol 82 bytes

C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\macromedia.com\support\flashplayer\sys\settings.sol 435 bytes

Sorry, Keithuk, I don't really understand what you mean. Your punctuation bothers me. Can somebody translate in french or german ?

Sorry Jean.

Here is a http://babelfish.altavista.com/ translation

Jaillissent l'analyse I don' ; de t utilisation I don' vraiment ; t voient le point (je l'ai employ? il y a 6 mois pour voir ce qu'il fait). Vous can' ; articles choisis de t certains/dossier pour le supprimer nettoie juste les articles qui ont ?t? plac?s. I' ; le VE a juste essay? une analyse et elle commence de l'ok puis apr?s deux ou trois minutes o? il ferme ? clef l'ordinateur, remise au relancement. ?prouv? lui encore et l'exact le m?me d?faut.

Quellen analysieren I don' hervor; t-wirklich Gebrauch I don' benutzt vor t sehen den Punkt (mich habe ihn 6 Monaten, um zu sehen, was es tut). Sie can' t-auserw?hlte bestimmte Einzelteile/das Faltblatt zum L?schen es s?ubert gerade die Einzelteile, die eingestellt worden sind. I' VE versuchte gerade analysieren und es beginnt vom O.K. dann nach ein paar Minuten, die es den Computer verriegelt, Zur?ckstellen zum Wiederanlauf. Versucht es wieder und das genaue die gleiche St?rung.

That list looks normal to me. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

That list looks normal to me. ;)

Hi Keithuk !

What list is normal ? The "0 byte" list of v2.15 and above or the "8,7MB" list of v2.14 ?

In ordinary language, what is the version which runs correctly and the version which is hopelessly bug-ridden ?

Now about Babelfish translations, it's utterly ridiculous

From English to French to English with Babelfish

Well the Analyze I don't really use I don't see the point (I have used it 6 months ago to see what it does). You can't select certain items/folder to delete it just cleans the items that have been set. I've just tried an Analyze and it starts of ok then after a couple of minutes it locks the computer, reset to restart. Tried it again and the exact same fault.

Jaillissent l'analyse I don' ; de t utilisation I don' vraiment ; t voient le point (je l'ai employ? il y a 6 mois pour voir ce qu'il fait). Vous can' ; articles choisis de t certains/dossier pour le supprimer nettoie juste les articles qui ont ?t? plac?s. I' ; le VE a juste essay? une analyse et elle commence de l'ok puis apr?s deux ou trois minutes o? il ferme ? clef l'ordinateur, remise au relancement. ?prouv? lui encore et l'exact le m?me d?faut.

Spout out l' I don' analyzes; ; T use I don' really; T see the point (I l' employed 6 months ago to see this qu' it makes). You can' ; selected articles of T unquestionable/file to remove it cleans just the articles which were placed. I' ; the VE just tested an analysis and it begins l' ok then after two or three minutes when it closes with key l' computer, given to restarting. Tested him still and l' exact the same defect.

From English to German to English with Babelfish

Well the Analyze I don't really use I don't see the point (I have used it 6 months ago to see what it does). You can't select certain items/folder to delete it just cleans the items that have been set. I've just tried an Analyze and it starts of ok then after a couple of minutes it locks the computer, reset to restart. Tried it again and the exact same fault.

Quellen analysieren I don' hervor; t-wirklich Gebrauch I don' benutzt vor t sehen den Punkt (mich habe ihn 6 Monaten, um zu sehen, was es tut). Sie can' t-auserw?hlte bestimmte Einzelteile/das Faltblatt zum L?schen es s?ubert gerade die Einzelteile, die eingestellt worden sind. I' VE versuchte gerade analysieren und es beginnt vom O.K. dann nach ein paar Minuten, die es den Computer verriegelt, Zur?ckstellen zum Wiederanlauf. Versucht es wieder und das genaue die gleiche St?rung.

Sources analyze I don' out; t-really use I don' before t sees the point (me has it 6 months, in order to see, what does it) used. It can' rope-chose certain individual parts/the folding sheet to the deletion it cleans the straight individual parts, which were stopped. I' VE tried straight analyze and it begin from the o.k. then after few minutes, which it locks the computer, resetting to the restart. Tries it again and exact the same disturbance.

Jean-Roger

Well the Analyze I don't really use I don't see the point (I have used it 6 months ago to see what it does).

Hello Keithuk,

Using CCleaner without analysing is for me like using a racing bike with pedals by a person without legs. Totally insane. Elsewhere what's this choice used for?

Please, use CCleaner v2.17 NOW (and not a 6 months old version) on a Win98 platform; run "analyse" and report here the result.

Thank you !

The hitch is that, like v2.15, 2.16, 2.17, the "cleaner" of v2.18 find only 0 bytes to be removed in 0,062 secs

In the mainwhile, v.21.4, 2.13, and below etc. continue to find 106,4Mb to be deleted in 1,633 secs.

The nightmare goes on for users on Win98se platform

Using CCleaner without analysing is for me like using a racing bike with pedals by a person without legs. Totally insane. Elsewhere what's this choice used for?

Please, use CCleaner v2.17 NOW (and not a 6 months old version) on a Win98 platform; run "analyse" and report here the result.

I disagree with that statement. Its like using a virus checker to scan your drive and when it finds something what are you going to do with it. When you analyse it will show a list of files or folder that need to be cleaned but you can't just right-click on that file and just select clean that file/folder.

The nightmare goes on for users on Win98se platform

There is nothing wrong with CC and Win98SE. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best