IE nor Mozilla work after cleaning.

CapeRyche

I ran a cleaner yesterday, as my computer was going really slow and it had been a while since I'd done so. So I ran the registry, saved it, got rid of the crap, then ran the cleaner and cleaned that crap too. Twice, actually, as I wasn't sure if it had done it properly the first time round. Then when I restarted, suddenly Internet Explorer and Mozilla no longer worked. I get the error page, but when I ran a diagnostic, it tells me I am connected to the net (obviously) but just doesn't want to work. I've tried installing the new IE 8 incase I accidently deleted something it needs but still doesn't work. Brought back the registry, and still doesn't work.

The only way I can look at websites is signing onto AOL and that's rather annoying. I'd like use of my IE and Mozilla back.

Any suggestions? D:

( btw the net is fully functioning. MSN, Skype, AOL, everything else works aside from those two browsers which my CCleaner cleans. )

EDIT: It's not set to work offline, they still don't work when connected to AOL and the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled already.

EDIT: It's not set to work offline, they still don't work when connected to AOL and the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled already.

I am not sure I have an answer but trying to add to the possibilities, can you get to my site - https://www.viclovan.com/ccleaner2settings.htm? It is a secure site and I am wondering if you can only get to secure sites. Also when you say

( btw the net is fully functioning. MSN, Skype, AOL, everything else works aside from those two browsers which my CCleaner cleans. )
are you talking about instant messaging programs?

Then if so, you probably have a problem with your winsock. In this post - http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showto...mp;#entry113831 I tell how to repair that.

You can also check your "hosts" files to see if you are being blocked that way. Open Spybot Search and Destroy and change to the "Advanced View", if you have not done so already, then go to the "Tools" and then the "Host File". Once there remove everything and then click the button "Add Spybot-S&D host list". If you are already using another anti-spyware program like SpySweeper (my favorite, but it is not free), Super AntiSpyware, or Spyware Doctor, you may want to look at them as well for your hosts file and the links they protect against.

That should do it for you if these are the issues.

Update - I checked this stuff out for the "Hosts file"

In SpySweeper it is in the Shields list under Network.

In Super AntiSpyware it is in there is currently (2009.02.04) no setting for this.

In Spyware Doctor it is in IntelliGuard > Network Guard

In Spyware Blaster there is a "Hosts Safe" but this feature will only backup what you have. I like and recommend Spyware Blaster but I do not use the "Hosts Safe" feature since I do use SpySweeper.

In SuperAntiSpyware in the Repairs tab of the Preferences you can scroll down to "Repair broken Network Connection (WinSock LSP Chain)" and try that to repair the WinSock. I don't know if this method is as effective as the method I described before but it might be easier to try.

Please reply here if this works or does not work either way.