Files Not Being Defragged

The Don

Hi,

Today after I analyzed adnd defragged files on completion I got a message saying not all files were defragged.

When I highlighted those 3 files that could not be defragged I attempted to defrag them again and still no luck.

The 3 files that can't be defragged are:

1. avgcfg.log

2. avgcore.log

3. avgns.log

Since these files are part of AVG 8.0 I tried disabling the antivirus and see if I could defrag the 3 files than but still not defraggin them.

This is with the latest version of Defraggler.

Any idea why thanks in advance.

Anti virus applications lock their files at boot up to prevent tampering by malware and even though you stop the anti virus they are still locked.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Anti virus applications lock their files at boot up to prevent tampering by malware and even though you stop the anti virus they are still locked.

It's funny it never did this before. Although the other day AVG updated new components where I was asked to restart windows and this update changed AVG in the way it works.

Anyone else who has AVG 8.0 with latest updates have same problem?

TheDon,

I use AVG 8.0 and Defraggler. I haven't done a defrag since AVG was updated (I believe it was Friday when the updates were released) but I will let you know what happens when I get home this evening.

Keith

There's always an exception to the rule. I'm that exception.

Desktop ----- AMD Athlon 3700+ (2.64Ghz), 2GB DDR 400, ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, 500GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP3, Avira Antivir Personal

At work ----- Intel C2D T1700 (1.6Ghz), 2GB DDR2 667, Dell OUY141, 80GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP2, Symantec 10

Laptop ----- Intel C2D P8400 (2.4 Ghz), 4GB DDR3 1066, Mainboard, 160GB HD, Dualboot: Windows 7/openSUSE 11.1, Avira Antivir Personal

link1.gif

TheDon,

I use AVG 8.0 and Defraggler. I haven't done a defrag since AVG was updated (I believe it was Friday when the updates were released) but I will let you know what happens when I get home this evening.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Today when I started my computer I tried defragging those 3 log files from AVG 8.0 and Defraggler was able to complete the job.

Now I believe the reason it worked this time was for one of these 2 reasons below:

1. Probably because the computer was restarted.

2. Or possibly because before defragging I had installed the winapp2 zip and used ccleaner to clean *AVG 8.0 that came with winapp2 instalation and the 3 ABG log files that could not be defragged were the ones that were cleaned.

Anyways let me know what happens with your computer I am still interested in knowing. I also noticed that AVG 8.0 new components update has more items listed in task manager. I used to have 28 process running before AVG update whenever all programs are closed and after AVG update I have 30 process shoing in task manager. The 2 added items come from AVG. Also wanted to mention that there was an 3rd one added at first but when I cleaned it from ccleaners registry it was no longer there. It was listed as non existance program. I guess AVG left somethings behind that were no longer needed with the new AVG 8.0

TheDon,

I finally got around to defragging the hard drive and checking to see which files were left behind. I have a whole bunch of .log files from AVG that have not been defragged including the top 2 you listed.

Keith

There's always an exception to the rule. I'm that exception.

Desktop ----- AMD Athlon 3700+ (2.64Ghz), 2GB DDR 400, ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, 500GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP3, Avira Antivir Personal

At work ----- Intel C2D T1700 (1.6Ghz), 2GB DDR2 667, Dell OUY141, 80GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP2, Symantec 10

Laptop ----- Intel C2D P8400 (2.4 Ghz), 4GB DDR3 1066, Mainboard, 160GB HD, Dualboot: Windows 7/openSUSE 11.1, Avira Antivir Personal

link1.gif