CCleaner not removing all it finds

jokerssmile

Ok so when I scan the computer using CCleaner it will show like over 500mbs when I run the cleaner it will remove only around 20mbs of that.

I've shut down the computer and restarted and run the program again and most times it shows that nothing needs to be cleaned.

I'm confused as to why its not removing everything its showing.

i'm using windows xp if that matters.

its not just registery entries that aren't being removed. Its a bunch of things, Its over 500mbs and like I said it generally only cleans the tracking cookies or like 20 mbs of the 500mbs.

and I'd rather not have to download more things. CCleaner use to run just fine and not its not working properly. I even removed it and redownloaded it and its still doing the same thing.

Hello jokerssmile,

Welcome to the forums !!!

Make sure that you have the option Unchecked(OFF) at Options > Advanced > Hide warning messages.

Make sure that all your programs are closed, especially browsers. Some browsers are slow to actually close. Check in Task Manager to be sure they are closed. Check that all your settings on the Applications tab are still set properly.

Good luck, :) davey

Thank you for the welcome. :D

My browswers aren't open. I did notice though that a lot of the files are Temp files from my camera. When I upload pictures from my kodak camera to my computer.

these seem to be the files that don't get removed.

is there a way to remove these without removing the pictures themselves?

With no knowledge of your software, I suggest :-

1. Inspect the Recycle bin and if you want to retain something do not proceed.

2. Empty the Recycle bin.

3. Use Windows Explorer to DELETE the files to the Recycle bin. Do NOT use CCleaner.

4. Look at your pictures.

If any pictures have disappeared then :-

a) You have rubbish software that scatters valuable pictures in temporary files;

B) You now know that removing these files will lose your pictures;

c) Return to the recycle bin and restore what you deleted. Your pictures should now come back.

Otherwise, you can purge the recycle bin,

and you now know it should be safe for CCleaner to delete these temporary files.

Regards

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am also having the same problem. I have everything checked and today for example, it said 185 mb to remove, but it only removed 153.5 of it? A while back it used to remove the whole amount, but I don't really understand why it stopped? I have the latest version 2.15.815

Any suggestions are appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...