ThreatFire

Tom AZ

Anyone have any experience with PC Tools ThreatFire?

Because it uses a behavior based detection system, can it be used concurrently with another AV program such as AntiVir (with active protection activated) without conflict?

I'm trying it on the old PIII with AntiVir and it seems to work but there are reports that it causes hangups.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators
Please explain further!!

1. You uninstall it.

2. You look into where it was installed and nothing was removed.

I've tried it twice before and both times it just didn't last long on my system as both times it causes issues. Frankly I don't think ThreatFire is needed at all on a system with either Avast or Antivir installed when coupled with something like SUPERAntiSpyware.

1. You uninstall it.

2. You look into where it was installed and nothing was removed.

I've tried it twice before and both times it just didn't last long on my system as both times it causes issues. Frankly I don't think ThreatFire is needed at all on a system with either Avast or Antivir installed when coupled with something like SUPERAntiSpyware.

So, how did you end up uninstalling it?

Never had a problem uninstalling it. Current version (4.0.0.10) working faultlessly on my XP Home SP3, alongside Avast and PCTools firewall.

The earlier version had some compatibility issues, appears these have been resolved.

Although it can be set to be recognized by the Windows Security Centre as an AV, this can also be turned off, and it will not conflict with another AV. From the FAQ's (part quote)

Since no single application is currently foolproof, a layered defense provides the most complete protection. ThreatFire is the perfect complement to your existing antivirus protection, and is fully compatible with your antivirus or other security programs.

As an additional layer, this one comprising a type of behaviour blocker, I find it useful. Or at least reassuring.

Would be nice if, when a threat is detected, there would be an option to merely block it, rather than delete or quarantine it. Because it sometimes detects legitimate processes as potentially malicious (and this is the way of behaviour blocker/HIPS-type software), it is wise to examine what is being reported rather than blindly deleting stuff.

Mind you, the same could be said of any security software.