Search records

ags

I see by your posts that they are at very sophisticated level. I have a very simple question - and I am not very good at this computer stuff.

As my computer is now set, when entering an item ( say Hedge Funds is entered) - in my case google - in the search window, that item stays or is stored in the search window in the top middle of the MSN Home Page. When you click on that top middle window, the entry Hedge Funds appears. I could not figure out how to remove the entry Hedge Funds.

So, I called my computer customer care experts. They installed CCleaner. They ran it which removed the entry - Hedge Fund. But, they had all the options checked or almost all. So which option - history, cookies, etc - should I click on to remove only the entries - like the word Hedge Funds - in that top middle search window?

Thanks.

ags

Get "Hedge Funds" in the search window; Launch CCleaner;

Then repeat :-

UNcheck one of the options.

Run CCleaner

Look at search Window

Repeat until "Hedge Funds" has gone.

When "Hedge Funds" has gone, you have just unchecked the option that clears it.

Regards

Alan

• Moderators

That won't work, only by chance anyway. Fr'instance, if you uncheck Option a and the correct option is C, and then run CC, you will get the dreaded false positive as C will be doing the wiping. Maybe you mean uncheck all options, then check one option at a time until the Hedge Funds entry is gone.

Or more simply, right click on each option in turn and select the Clean ....etc option. This will execute each option separately so that when Hedge Funds goes you have your man. Or woman, as you please. You can leave all your options ticked without upsetting anything.

Have fun.

So which option - history, cookies, etc - should I click on to remove only the entries - like the word Hedge Funds - in that top middle search window?

Thanks.

ags

Hello ags,

Welcome to the forums !!!

As you can probably tell, so far, no MSN users have responded. I don't use MSN either.

The other members have you on the right track.

If I were you, the first thing I would do is turn off all the options except the option that is on the Applications tab at Internet list > Windows Live Toolbar.

Click on this little snapshot and it will show you where to find it. Click again and the picture will be enlarged.

t2526_20081227135216.jpg

http://www.ccleanerbeginnersguide.com/

CCleaner Beginner's Guide.com Bookmark and save to Favorites

Hope this saves you some time and gives you what you want.

Good luck, :) davey

That won't work, only by chance anyway.

You are so right - I got it wrong.

I typed the same solution as you, but chickened out.

There are options I have only checked for experimental ANALYSIS, but never had the courage to CLEAN.

So I decided not to push a newcomer over the edge.

I decided that the "computer customer care experts" did stuff that MIGHT have removed something that should have stayed, and I would not do further damage if I avoided checking anything not yet checked.

So I reversed my solution, getting the hedge funds in the search window and cleaning with one of the options cancelled and repeating until the hedge funds survived, and that last cancelled option is the one.

Unfortunately whilst editing to reverse my procedure, I was called away for a meal, and then after further distractions I failed to complete the edit reversal.

Sorry for the confusion.

Regards

Alan

• Moderators

No problem, old bean. Ags should have been able to work it out him/herself anyway. That's the problem with these meals, a small glass or two of digestive assistance tends to keel me over for some reason.